• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Buying advice

Bill_S

Not sure if I should post this in a different section of the forum, but here goes...

Many moons ago (about 40 years to be more precise) I had a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe natural top. I bought the Deluxe because it happened to be the one that was available in the shop that I could just about afford. I bought a natural top because I liked the look of it. Unfortunately it was stolen when our house was burgled in 1981. Luckily it was insured, I bought a different guitar with the money…long story.

Anyway, I am now just beginning to think about buying another Les Paul. I am not tempted by reissues, or any new guitar, I’d rather buy a genuine vintage guitar in at least “very good” condition. I am thinking about a Standard (because in my mind that’s the “classic”, but I am open to suggestions).

I would only play the guitar in my home studio, it won’t be a gigging instrument. I’m now approaching my 60s and I view guitar purchases as an investment these days, believing that a quality instrument won’t plummet in value. My kids will get my small collection one day and either keep or sell as they see fit. I get to play the thing, and that’s my investment’s “dividend” so to speak.

Thinking in terms of c. £4 to £5,000 total budget, and I am looking for some advice please – model, the era or eras to go for, pickups, finishes – anything really, but especially interested in the “best” years to go for. Sorry it is a bit vague, but I would be very interested in receiving some of your collective wisdom!

Many thanks.

fernieite

Hi there.

Well, you have posted in the SG section, and 4-5000 Pounds ($5-6000 US) would get you a very nice Les Paul Junior (SG) - with money left over. :hank

I'm actually looking for this very same guitar - a 1961 -63 Les Paul Junior (SG)… Until around 65 or so, these had the 1 11/16 nut width. Oh yeah, a P-90 pickup.

That's one option, anyway...:ganz

Last edited:

jrgtr42

Your being in Spain gives a bit of a tough ask. Most of us here don't know the pricing and availability there.
My recommendation would be to visit as many shops as you can. Play as many guitars as you can and decide what you want, and if you find a guitar that fits, grab it. However, don't necessarily get the first one you see.
Also, don't completely write off any newer guitars, the Historics can be excellent instruments and some of them retain or even gain value.
Good luck!

Bill_S

I would probably buy in the UK, which is where I am from originally. I have imported successfully from the States in the past, but I’d be perhaps nervous about doing that on this occasion as I don’t know LPs well and I believe it would pretty essential to play before I buy.

jrgtr42

I would probably buy in the UK, which is where I am from originally. I have imported successfully from the States in the past, but I’d be perhaps nervous about doing that on this occasion as I don’t know LPs well and I believe it would pretty essential to play before I buy.

On top of playing before buying, the new CITES regulations make bringing guitars across, especially older and vintage instruments, especially tricky.

OBX351

You can get a beat up but mostly original player grade LP TV Special or a nicer SG special for $5k to $6k US. As stupid as it sounds, I would research US guitars, find one and buy it there in person and take it home with you. It would be a fun trip!

Bill_S

You can get a beat up but mostly original player grade LP TV Special or a nicer SG special for $5k to $6k US. As stupid as it sounds, I would research US guitars, find one and buy it there in person and take it home with you. It would be a fun trip!

Yes, sounds like a plan. I have a friend who went from the UK to California for his honeymoon recently. Visited Norman’s Rare Guitars, paid all the duty, and had it shipped back. Spent three weeks in customs in the UK, but it all worked out fine.