• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ibanez PF200 pickups

Dom_M

Hi all,

First-time poster here. I just bought an Ibanez PF200. I'm liking it a lot so far, but I noticed the neck pickup is much louder than the bridge pickup. Does anyone know if that's normal?

I'm thinking maybe a pickup has been replaced.

Would be grateful for any insight here. Sorry if my question is naive!

Dom

mdubya

It is normal for the neck pickup to be louder.

Just lower the pickup until it balances in volume with the bridge pickup.

I typically dial in the bridge pickup to where I like its sound the best, then balance the neck pickup with that volume. I sometimes like the neck pickup to be just a little louder than the bridge. And I will often use the volume control on the neck pickup to roll the volume down a little bit. It sounds sweeter to me that way.

For example, on my ES 330, I needed to raise the neck pickup a little bit to make it loud enough to sound good with with the neck volume rolled down to its sweet zone.

Dom_M

It is normal for the neck pickup to be louder.

Just lower the pickup until it balances in volume with the bridge pickup.

I typically dial in the bridge pickup to where I like its sound the best, then balance the neck pickup with that volume. I sometimes like the neck pickup to be just a little louder than the bridge. And I will often use the volume control on the neck pickup to roll the volume down a little bit. It sounds sweeter to me that way.

For example, on my ES 330, I needed to raise the neck pickup a little bit to make it loud enough to sound good with with the neck volume rolled down to its sweet zone.

Thanks! I'll try lowering the pickup for sure. But maybe will experiment with lowering the volume first. Right now the difference between the two is dramatic. The bridge pickup volume is similar to my Strat's, while the neck pickup is way louder and just a lot bigger/thicker.