• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Emerson kit sound change ??

Bluestwister

Hi All,

Hoping you can answer a mystery for me.
I just had a 2017 Tribute changed over to an Emerson Custom 50’s wiring kit.
Both pickups sound fine by themselves but in the middle position the sound I get sounds remarkably like a Peter Green out of phase sound, rather nasally sounding and not at all what a typical middle position sounds like. Everything works fine, volume and tones are doing their thing other than the switch may be a bit stiff.
I contacted the tech that did the install and he mentioned that it’s not out of phase. Why the tone change then ?
Can you help ??
Thanks

Don

Is the nasal sound in the middle position accompanied with a big volume drop? In the middle position, if you lower the volume of one pickup while the other is on 10, does the guitar get louder? If so, a pickup is out of phase.

What pickups does the guitar have? Single or multiple conductors?

Bluestwister

Is the nasal sound in the middle position accompanied with a big volume drop? In the middle position, if you lower the volume of one pickup while the other is on 10, does the guitar get louder? If so, a pickup is out of phase.

What pickups does the guitar have? Single or multiple conductors?

Thanks Don

There is a volume drop yes. If I do lower the volume on one pickup the volume does increase. I believe the pickups had four conductor wiring. The guitar came with 490r and 490 t pickups and the original circuit board style wiring.

grimlyflick

Strangely enough when I had my 2016 Standard rewired it came back with the middle position out of phase, even though according to the colours on the wires it shouldn’t have been. It was as if the burstbuckers in it had been made to be out of phase in the middle, maybe the odd pickup slips through the net with the wires hooked up the wrong way round?
:hmm

Bluestwister

Strangely enough when I had my 2016 Standard rewired it came back with the middle position out of phase, even though according to the colours on the wires it shouldn’t have been. It was as if the burstbuckers in it had been made to be out of phase in the middle, maybe the odd pickup slips through the net with the wires hooked up the wrong way round?
:hmm
Thanks that’s a great tip.
After having a look at the wiring it sure does look correct but it’s definitely out of phase.

EpiLP1985

Thanks that’s a great tip.
After having a look at the wiring it sure does look correct but it’s definitely out of phase.

I wonder if when it left the factory, as part of a final quality check, the technician noticed that maybe the magnet was flipped and reversed the green/black for that pickup.

For a tech coming in cold doing a rewire on your guitar, he/she may have put it back to the normal convention (Black HOT, Green/Bare GROUND) without knowing. The way to check would be to swap the Black and Green leads for each pickup independently and see if the OOP goes away.