• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

anyone else hate the VOS finish ?

Victory Pete

Can you please clarify what you mean by "my first drop fill on a new guitar " Do you do this regardless if it's a VOS finish ? or a gloss finish ?

When I am fixing the first ding. A drop fill is a technique to fill a ding with a drop of lacquer applied with a small brush. It is then level sanded and buffed out.

El Gringo

When I am fixing the first ding. A drop fill is a technique to fill a ding with a drop of lacquer applied with a small brush. It is then level sanded and buffed out.

Very good, and I applaud you on fixing those unsightly bumps, bruises, dings, and dents .

Jamie

I never liked the VOS finish - it seemed like a phoney way to age a guitar.

its not like the Historic makeover guitars which look close to actual vintage guitars. its just a weird gummy surface finsh.

its like someone just sprayed a can of tacky glue on an otherwise great guitar

now that I finally have a historic with gloss finish I would not even concider going back to VOS

(the gloss finish even feels harder but I am not 100% sure if it is )

anyone else hate it ?

I 100% agree! In reality it is a bit of a rip off if I understand other commnets on this thread. The process is a cheaper one for Gibson but we pay the same or more??..

Here's a suggestion for Gibson: Offer the buyer a choice for the VOS guitars.. we pay enough for them right? You could call the choices 1. Vintage Gloss and 2. Genuine Gloss or something along those lines..

I ordered a 57' BB and imagine this - I didn't know VOS were doing this (my last 35th Anniversary BB finish was like a mirror!) So when I opened the case I was like .. "Excuse me kind sir.. has this guitar been used???! I think there has been a mix up..?" There was all this crap on the body, the nice gold HB plates were all corroded etc. No mirror finish.. :dang And yes now it makes sense becasue I plugged it in to play and commented that it must be the hummidity in the room becasue my hands had a hard time moving around the neck! I felt so clummsy lol Now I realize it was what every that stuff is left or put on the neck..

There seems to be some hope in that this is fixable. I would like to post again at some point to show where I get with it.

I'm including a pic I pulled off the web of what I remember of my old BB and also a pic of the new VOS BB for reference..

BlackBeauty35th 2a.jpg
35th (1989)

57 BB VOS Dec2020 1.jpg
my New VOS (2020) - after frantically trying to give it a quick wipe down lol. You can see I did manage to remove some of it ..

Oh and I guess they don't feel a need to make nice cases anymore either.. not impressed but that's another thread.. lol

Thx!

J

moleng1

I went after my new (to me) 2011 VOS R8 in iced tea burst with guitar scratch remover and took all that crap off the body. That was the easy part, next came the hardware and what a pain that was, it's like they welded that crap on, took awhile with some polishing compound and a dremel, but eventually got most of it off and now love the look of my "new" R8

Dr. Green

as we approach the two year anniversary of my thread folks are STILL expressing dis pleasure with the VOS - finish

I would not be surprised if the thread was active for another two years

that's notable

perhaps Gibson should drop the finish - its not that nice

AA00475Bassman

yakmgTW.jpg
[/IMG]2014 VOS ES 345

Jamie

I went after my new (to me) 2011 VOS R8 in iced tea burst with guitar scratch remover and took all that crap off the body. That was the easy part, next came the hardware and what a pain that was, it's like they welded that crap on, took awhile with some polishing compound and a dremel, but eventually got most of it off and now love the look of my "new" R8

Can you post a pic? :)

wmachine

I 100% agree! In reality it is a bit of a rip off if I understand other commnets on this thread. The process is a cheaper one for Gibson but we pay the same or more??..

Here's a suggestion for Gibson: Offer the buyer a choice for the VOS guitars.. we pay enough for them right? You could call the choices 1. Vintage Gloss and 2. Genuine Gloss or something along those lines..

I ordered a 57' BB and imagine this - I didn't know VOS were doing this (my last 35th Anniversary BB finish was like a mirror!) So when I opened the case I was like .. "Excuse me kind sir.. has this guitar been used???! I think there has been a mix up..?" There was all this crap on the body, the nice gold HB plates were all corroded etc. No mirror finish.. :dang And yes now it makes sense becasue I plugged it in to play and commented that it must be the hummidity in the room becasue my hands had a hard time moving around the neck! I felt so clummsy lol Now I realize it was what every that stuff is left or put on the neck..

There seems to be some hope in that this is fixable. I would like to post again at some point to show where I get with it.

I'm including a pic I pulled off the web of what I remember of my old BB and also a pic of the new VOS BB for reference..

View attachment 12394
35th (1989)

View attachment 12395
my New VOS (2020) - after frantically trying to give it a quick wipe down lol. You can see I did manage to remove some of it ..

Oh and I guess they don't feel a need to make nice cases anymore either.. not impressed but that's another thread.. lol

Thx!

J

Sorry, but Gibson pulled no surprises with what the did. Don't blame them for your ignorance a buyer. You don't have to like it, but the surprise was your fault, not theirs. If you don't like it don't buy it.

Bruce R

I sold my '06 R8 VOS a few months ago and bought a mint 2014 R0 (GC special issue) in Gloss. I have to say that I tend to favor the R8's VOS treatment as done on that guitar. It had no "gunk" on the body and I thought the overall patina was just right. Over the years it aged well and had a great feel, but I did play it a lot. The only VOS feature that bugged me is the way pickup covers started to turn a rusty brown color, and eventually they turned green (called verdigris). It got so bad that I took off the covers and rubbed them down with copper cleaner to get them looking like they used to. This lasted about a year then it came back, bad as ever. A little bit is fine and looked cool. Here is a photo I took before I cleaned them up;

Humbucking Gunk 1 (800x600).jpg Humbucking Gunk 2 (800x600).jpg

ironically, the bridge pickup was a Duncan Antiquity (awesome pickup!) and the neck a stock Burstbucker 1. They obviously were "aged" in the same way to begin with as they both turned rusty/green in the same fashion. I do live about 6 miles from the ocean but have never had this problem in my other guitars.

I also have an '07 LP TV Special and the brown gunk is a bit more apparent in certain places with the TV color. It's not sticky or "gunky" at all, so it doesn't bother me that much. From time to time I will rub off a bit if I see it.

I have owned the '14 R0 since May and the nickel finish on the bridge & tailpiece is beginning to get broken in a little. I really don't care for the shiny pickup covers so the jury is still out on that. I do love the guitar so don't want to mess with it.

RyTunes

I have a 2017 63 335 and a 2020 R9, both VOS. Have had gloss les pauls, I prefer VOS. Looks more fitting on a reissue than a glossy finish in my opinion. I do think they react differently to sweat, cleaners, polish, etc. Is it possible you experienced some sort of buildup on your VOS that was gummy?

Trans-Am

I like gloss but after a while you don't really care for the gloss anymore as for playing. VOS for me all the way. To each his own fella's. :dude:

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 18

TBird

When I recently removed the VOS from a new, Blonde ES 355, the clear coat was pretty sketchy with pitting throughout and substantial orange peel, particularly on the sides of the headstock wings. It obviously saves them the time, effort and skill to provide a proper finish. I wet sanded up to 1,200, buffed and polished for a nice improvement but did not get to a Collings-type finish, or even a Fender for that matter. So I would prefer that Gibson finish the finish!

Todd Louis

Oh... do we hate the VOS?
Let us go way back to beginning of all that....
There are hundreds of threads on that topic.

Jamie

Sorry, but Gibson pulled no surprises with what the did. Don't blame them for your ignorance a buyer. You don't have to like it, but the surprise was your fault, not theirs. If you don't like it don't buy it.
uh.. that's some tough love and a little critical don't you think.. I don't buy a Gibson every year or two and there was nothing anywhere on the Gibson product page going into that kind of detail re that amount of goop left behind.. The picture of the product did not show that crap on the guitar. There was nothing to indicate that Gibson was getting away from their high gloss finish treatment and I still think it's a cheap marketing stunt designed to save on time and money.

Get this - Now it's gotten worse! They have something calle the Gibson Murphy Labs - "It’s like a greatest hits album of vintage guitars." :oops: .. At least the buyer can see what they did with these..hard to miss. Scratches all over the finish. Not small tiny ones.. big ones to simulate years of abuse, Yours for 7 or $8k ?? Are you kidding me? What the hell is going on over there at Gibson ? So Sad.. Give me a break! lol

1615674737998.png
"Murphy Lab Collection" Should be called "Murphy's Law Collection"

JoeC

I bought several Historic's with VOS finishes (made after 2013 ) . None of the finishes felt gummy .

list the year yours were built with the snot like finish ?
I have picked up one in a guitar store that felt gummy, but my to VOS LPs never did. The metal again can be a bit much or not consistent

LyleGorch

Orfered a ES~175S from GC 7 yrs. ago. Opened case, boom ‘59 VOS, closed case, went home and played it. Put a P90 in there and love it.