• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

anyone else hate the VOS finish ?

duaneflowers

I should have included 'the way something played & sounded' as well.

My main point is that I have never felt the need to go on an internet forum saying 'I hate this finish'

I was agreeing with you... and simultaneously taking a poke at those who do feel the unshakeable need to voice their displeasure in others' opinions and choices... :salude

rockabilly69

I'm not a fan of the VOS finish but I just removed it by using a light compound/wax and all three guitars I did it to came out great. I prefer gloss finish and then wearing it down myself.

Minibucker

Hi All, sorry to resurrect and old thread like this but I haven't been around for a while.

Is this VOS finish the same it's always been? Forgive me if this post is redundant, but I'm wondering if the VOS finish is still that super-tacky nasty 'goop' they used to apply. The last Historic I had with a VOS was an '08 (I think) R8, and for three years no matter what I did to clean, polish and even lightly sand the back of the neck, it always got tacky and nasty. Maybe because it just reacted to my skin chemistry or something.

Had an '11 R7 and now a '13 R8 both in gloss and never had that issue. So my question is the with all the changes and stuff going on at Gibson, different historic specs and construction etc, has their VOS 'formula' changed at all at a certain time so it has that semi faded look but with a different treatment, or is it just the same that it's always been. Asking because there are some VOS models that I'm interested in but don't want to go through the same aggravation as before or refinish. Over the years, every VOS I've tried in a store has felt the same, but it's been a good six years since I've tried one. I realize that it may just be my own body chemistry that's reacting differently than with others.

Thanks, and again sorry if it's redundant.

Trans-Am

I look at the VOS finish a short way of getting your axe an accelerated take on a well played Gibson, It's so far as what a relic option you would choose.
It will definitely give you that aged on its way look as opposed to the really shiny top you really simply enjoy to look at and buff/clean all the time until you get a scratch/dings and dongs among other surface mishaps etc.

My vote yes all the way, great take on in between the rest really. Makes the real patina genuine looking once it starts happening.:yah
I have no issue cleaning it or making it somehow shine if you wanted to a bit.:peace2

duaneflowers

Hi All, sorry to resurrect and old thread like this but I haven't been around for a while.

Is this VOS finish the same it's always been? Forgive me if this post is redundant, but I'm wondering if the VOS finish is still that super-tacky nasty 'goop' they used to apply. The last Historic I had with a VOS was an '08 (I think) R8, and for three years no matter what I did to clean, polish and even lightly sand the back of the neck, it always got tacky and nasty. Maybe because it just reacted to my skin chemistry or something.

Had an '11 R7 and now a '13 R8 both in gloss and never had that issue. So my question is the with all the changes and stuff going on at Gibson, different historic specs and construction etc, has their VOS 'formula' changed at all at a certain time so it has that semi faded look but with a different treatment, or is it just the same that it's always been. Asking because there are some VOS models that I'm interested in but don't want to go through the same aggravation as before or refinish. Over the years, every VOS I've tried in a store has felt the same, but it's been a good six years since I've tried one. I realize that it may just be my own body chemistry that's reacting differently than with others.

Thanks, and again sorry if it's redundant.

As with ALL things Gibson, the only consistency is their inconsistency. Pretty much depends on who applied the VOS finish and which way the wind is blowing as far as determining whatcha gonna get. The only problem I have ever had with the VOS finish is sometimes the metals are not neutralized after their goop application. So the acid keeps eating away at the metals at an accelerated pace long after they have left the shop. Giving all metals that have been VOSed a healthy dose of WD40 will stop it, and really should've been done properly at the factory. The goop on the finish will wear off on its own, or can be easily buffed to taste.

As far as the back of the neck goes, I've never experienced that on any of my VOS models but I have on my Aged CC#8 Beast... it seems that 7 years later it feels like the nitro still hasn't dried completely and it is perpetually tacky. If I buff and polish it before playing it will be fine for the duration, but after a week or so it reverts to that sticky, squeaky feeling. It does seem to be getting better little by little and if the guitar itself wasn't so amazing I might not've kept it, but regardless of that it is still one of my all-time favorites!! :salude

UynFTT4.jpg

Minibucker

As with ALL things Gibson, the only consistency is their inconsistency. Pretty much depends on who applied the VOS finish and which way the wind is blowing as far as determining whatcha gonna get. The only problem I have ever had with the VOS finish is sometimes the metals are not neutralized after their goop application. So the acid keeps eating away at the metals at an accelerated pace long after they have left the shop. Giving all metals that have been VOSed a healthy dose of WD40 will stop it, and really should've been done properly at the factory. The goop on the finish will wear off on its own, or can be easily buffed to taste.

As far as the back of the neck goes, I've never experienced that on any of my VOS models but I have on my Aged CC#8 Beast... it seems that 7 years later it feels like the nitro still hasn't dried completely and it is perpetually tacky. If I buff and polish it before playing it will be fine for the duration, but after a week or so it reverts to that sticky, squeaky feeling. It does seem to be getting better little by little and if the guitar itself wasn't so amazing I might not've kept it, but regardless of that it is still one of my all-time favorites!! :salude
Makes sense, thanks for responding.

I must have used every cleaner known to man to try and get my VOS non-tacky, but it always seemed to come back. It was as if the nitro just never cured, even after a few years. I guess it really was just me. It's funny, because I normally don't like glossy finishes on anything, especially necks. I like it pretty worn down almost to the wood. But the two R's with gloss finishes stayed pretty smooth, and the VOS R8 was just hell. I hated playing it because it just felt nasty. So I normally just go for gloss finished and let natural wear or such happen to it, but sometimes the deals and instruments you're looking for only pop up as VOS's, and I have such an aversion to that by now.

Trans-Am

Take into factor of the use and environment your Gibson is in contact is where this will all come into play.

My 2007 R9 VOS has faded quite cleanly without any hard looking tarnish but sure shows play wear.IMG_1911.jpgIMG_1912.jpg0531090845.jpg

Minibucker

Three years playing out in different climates and humidities, even in the dead of winter. Was always sticky. Anyway, was glad I was able to get the gloss-finished guitars that I have.

El Gringo

One of my 2 Brazilian 2018 R9's formerly had a VOS finish which is not my preference . I was told to use Virtuosos Polish which I used 2 weeks ago with serious reservations , not because of Virtuoso but because I have a terrible habit of trying to fix/repair something and I always muck it up somehow and then hate it . So I used the Virtuoso polish and the body looks immaculate and looks like a brand new Gloss finish . The headstock looks ok/better ,but not as perfect as the maple top . The hardware looks funky with the faux aged treatment ,but the Custombuckers were replaced with ThroBak's with the set up my tech gave me just after I purchased the guitar . The guitar is a real monster of a beast and just screams with tone .

wmachine

I think it is safe to say that VOS finishes vary considerably. Not only over the years, but individually as to *how* and how much is applied. Seems like less is more (better) for this. I'm not a big fan, but it is okay with me, if done well. No complaints on my 2016 ES-345TDC '64 VOS Sixties Cherry. Very thin coating. Mostly uniform on the body, and more unevenly on the hardware, like gold hardware tends to age. Contrary to what someone has said, the coating does not appear to be eating the hardware finish at all. In fact, it appears to be protecting the actual plating. But it is not that old to know what the long term effects would be.
Visually, I would describe it as a slight hazing.

ACtC-3e4Fw9oJcgi8h4zHAZgR17f9nqLSoeQg2o5lZPNSPZwWFdUyMyoFtsgOLlqXbqMrsD1yVTZDCsrZDbII786SZPmD3XyZ3c4iIwtyzqJE-UTFx9dGhYzXgSrutIw-r6tiXnqQzWjaC5J5p8x8u88QqZf=w1365-h767-no

Minibucker

I hear you. I actually always like the look of it for the most part....I've always liked a worn-in guitar over a brand new glossy one. But for whatever reason, that R8 VOS I had was determined to remain like flypaper. So it's disappointing that it didn't jive with me as far as feel. You name it, Virtuoso, naphtha, Simple Green solution, elbow grease, even some light wet sanding on the neck ...just couldn't get it to not revert to being tacky and build up a layer of yuck on the neck. Never had an ES335 with VOS, the two historic I had were gloss and again fine. I really believe that my skin/ph chemistry just didn't get along with something in that VOS that wasn't going away.

El Gringo

I also am of the school of thought that the VOS treatment is just one final step with the buffer and then it would be a full gloss finish . I could be wrong but somehow I don't think it's some type of substance that is applied to give it that hazy look .

mdubya

I have VOS finishes that run the spectrum from "not polished to gloss" with slightly aged nickel, to heavy and clumsy oxidation and "goo" slopped on, with some that are in between.

The former is very tasteful and desirable (to me). The latter is easy enough to clean up and comes out, ultimately, like an older guitar that needed some cleaning up.

I have gloss finished guitars, too, and I have no regrets about them not being VOS.

:laugh2:

Minibucker

I don't obsessively clean/polish my gloss guitars so they get their own sort of VOS (or ME OS) thing going on. But they never get that flypaper-like tackiness that I did with the two actual VOS's I had. Aesthetically I rather like the look of a VOS and actually replaced my Gloss' covers with aged ones (ThroBaks, IIRC)...normally can't stand shiny new covers. The rest of the hardware naturally starts to tarnish/patina.

Last edited:

rockabilly69

I've had 4 guitars with the VOS finish, and wiped it off on all of them, especially paying close attention to the hardware, where I don't like rust or pitting. I got all of these guitars at very good prices, so I didn't mind putting a little elbow work into them. I eventually sold 2 of them (1956 reissue and my ES330), and kept two (2019 1954 Reissue, 2014 1957 Reissue).

RvUstUQ.jpg

KwgZNql.jpg

Last edited:

C-4

I've had good luck using Virtuoso on my '13 R9.

I have 3 VOS CS LP's. What is said here ^ is what I use if I want to remove the VOS from the guitar.
Personally, I like the VOS on the face of the body as it hides fingerprints, and is no big deal.

However when I do need to clean my guitars, Virtuoso cleaner and polish is all I use and it removes the VOS nicely.

I just don't understand the complaints I read here about the finish. You have the option to remove it if you desire too. Why pay more for the full gloss finish when the polish will do the same thing?!