• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

anyone else hate the VOS finish ?

Zakmichael

Virtuoso cleaner until the gunk is off, then get a small car buffing pad with a drill and buff that sucker with Scratch X. My Vos R9 is now smooth and glossy, in fact better than the Gibson gloss models. Just keep it moving and you won’t burn thru. That clear coat is pretty thick. Or pay someone to buff it if it makes you nervous to do.

jb_abides

Virtuoso cleaner until the gunk is off, then get a small car buffing pad with a drill and buff that sucker with Scratch X. My Vos R9 is now smooth and glossy, in fact better than the Gibson gloss models. Just keep it moving and you won’t burn thru. That clear coat is pretty thick. Or pay someone to buff it if it makes you nervous to do.

Oh, and the hardware shines up with Mother’s metal polish.

+1

VOS + Virtuoso = Boss :yah

:salude

Keefoman

The "VOS" on the laquer will wear away, but the finish will still appear "used" which is a good thing. On the metal parts it will still appear old and well used. Also a good thing. You can always go with the gloss finish, if a shiny new look is what you're after, but then you'll need to keep on cleaning and polishing if you want to play (use) your guitar, and still maintain the shiny look.

AA00475Bassman

With all the Historic guitars on the used & new market why would you buy one ...... if you didn't like VOS finish , so much on this Forum puzzles me !!

Pellman73

I never liked the VOS finish - it seemed like a phoney way to age a guitar.

its not like the Historic makeover guitars which look close to actual vintage guitars. its just a weird gummy surface finsh.

its like someone just sprayed a can of tacky glue on an otherwise great guitar

now that I finally have a historic with gloss finish I would not even concider going back to VOS

(the gloss finish even feels harder but I am not 100% sure if it is )

anyone else hate it ?

i don’t mind it so much but I can attest to the fact that the HM guitars are amazing. The first one i got the chance to play I bought (recently) AMAZING

Pellman73

Mine's a VOS and I don't mind the finish because, IMHO, it's not overdone either on the body or the hardware:

full

full

full

duaney

duaneflowers

Love some of the VOS finishes... although on this one I think they overgunked the pickup covers...

71730002_10219344059648809_7571850278526255104_n.jpg

AA00475Bassman

Incredible you guys go from a hazy finish & satin hardware = VOS ,to a $4500.00 HM ! IMO no longer a Gibson its a fiddled with BASTARD !

randall

Take Gibson polish wipe down the guitar, then take turtle wax and buff the guitar. I just did mine and it looks like a gloss finish. The wax almost gets rid of the orange peel.

Pellman73

Incredible you guys go from a hazy finish & satin hardware = VOS ,to a $4500.00 HM ! IMO no longer a Gibson its a fiddled with BASTARD !

huh?

the very first post talked about HM...

Why get so angry about the HM thing? It’s still a Gibson. The chassis is made in a Gibson factory. Like a car that’s the bones and spirit of the instrument. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The only real bursts were made 1958-1960. There’s lots of Gibson Les Pauls. But if it’s not a real burst it’s a burst replica. Your burst replica is made by Gibson ? Ok you have the moral authority to say it’s legal and not infringing on IP. Past that — it’s a les paul but it ain’t a burst. You need a couple hundred grand for that. And it don’t matter who made it — it’s not a real burst. The HM modded custom shop Les Pauls are killer. I think for MANY they get us closer for a fraction of the price of a real burst and none of the headache or worry about provenance or any of that other BS. They make people happy. Leave it there. It’s just guitars. It’s not life and Death.

have you played or held one? You might feel differently.

jb_abides

Ye Gods - what happens when you cut the wires and swap BurstBuckers for boutique? Perish the thought :spabout:salude

duaneflowers

Ye Gods - what happens when you cut the wires and swap BurstBuckers for boutique? Perish the thought :spabout:salude

Obviously... then it is no longer a guitar, rather a beast released from the bowels of hell to wreak havoc on mankind... and cause utter and irrevocable destruction... in the name of Rock & Roll... :hee

johnreardon

If I don't like the way something is finished or I don't like the colour, I move on to something I do like.

duaneflowers

If I don't like the way something is finished or I don't like the colour, I move on to something I do like.

Really??? And miss the chance to let everyone know how butthurt you are that something like that is allowed to exist in YOUR universe? Talk about missed opportunities!! :hee

J.D.

+1

Lot of guitars out there. The right one will come along. The days of buying something you don't really like due mainly to limited options, and trying to make it into what you really want are over for the most part.

johnreardon

Really??? And miss the chance to let everyone know how butthurt you are that something like that is allowed to exist in YOUR universe? Talk about missed opportunities!! :hee

I should have included 'the way something played & sounded' as well.

My main point is that I have never felt the need to go on an internet forum saying 'I hate this finish'