• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Custom Shop Neck Profiles

IinvernessF7

Okay, a new year and I am finally pulling the trigger on a Custom Shop Les Paul. I need some advice on a neck profile so I can decide on year of reissue.

Some background: Gibson wise, I have and play a 64 Firebird VII reissue, and a 66 SG special. My first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul 50th Anniversary 60 Reissue V3. I bought it new in 2010, learned to play on it and still play it every day. Being a V3 it has the slim taper neck and is .81-.93, and weighs 8.94 lbs. The Firebird VII and SG special both have a little wider feel to the necks, but are still 60s slim, and are not rounded at all like a baseball bat, or even a C shape. I play the Les Paul 50 times more than the others, thus, I play it way better. I have never played another Les Paul other than my own, and I plan on ordering from Wildwood, so I wont get a chance to play before purchase.

My question is, should I buy an R0, and stick with the neck profile I have learned on, or is the difference in an R9 neck something that most likely will be easy to compensate for? I want a cherryburst, and I like the cherry on a 59 a bit better, the 60 seems brighter tangerine red as compared to a 59 being more blood red, and I like the knobs better on a 59 than the 60's reflectors. I want a decent flame to the top, nothing 3D or wide ribbons, but I don't think an R8 would do it for me personally

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the sound advice of this forum, plus I thought it would be an interesting topic.

Analoga1p

the newer '59's especially from this year is slimmer than years past. Not too big not too small...on the knobs you can always change them if you decide to get even a V2 neck profile 1960 reissue.

Axelorox

My first two electric guitars were an Epiphone G400 (their version of an SG) and a 1990 Gibson LP Custom. Both had thin necks. I had no trouble adapting to my R7's neck some years later. I actually find that I really like the thicker profile.

El Gringo

You might like the neck of the new R9 as it is not as big as the R8 , also Wildwood has a 24-48 hour return policy as long as you pay the shipping back to Wildwood who are absolutely the best . You just might get lucky and like the R9 , but it seems like you naturally like the slimmer profile neck which would be theR0 . Best wishes , also the R9 have the best tops !

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
Most other good dealers also offer a no questions asked approval time.

IinvernessF7

Ordered an R9 Murphy painted in Dirty Lemon, that I should have my hands on tomorrow, and I definitely do not anticipate sleeping tonight. I feel like when I was 10 on Christmas eve and knew I had a slot car race track under the tree. To be honest, I put a leftover from 2017 Washed Cherry VOS R0 on hold with a deposit right after making this post. I continuously kept coming back and comparing it to the 3 or 4 Sunburst Murphy's that I liked, but I was immediately drawn to a 59 Dirty Lemon Gloss I spotted, which I believe was a mistake because it was supposed to be either Murphy's Lemon or Tom's Tea, and looks somewhere in the middle.
I will probably adjust to the neck pretty quickly because of not wanting to put it down.
Wildwood has been awesome to work with, they were really patient in helping and letting me decide on what I wanted to buy instead of what they wanted to sell.
The Epiphone R0 has been an awesome guitar to learn and grow on, and I will probably hand it down if any of my 3 grandsons want to learn in the future.
Thanks for the advice, as you can tell I was really trying to convince myself that the 59 would be okay for me!

renderit

Post back with your NGD pictures. Wildwood is awesome! Murphys are awesome! R9s rock! Whats to lose?

IinvernessF7

Thank you. I haven't put it down much, or stopped smiling since it got here this morning. Wildwood was amazing to work with, and I am pleased with the R9 neck profile.

Photographed with another fine Tennessee product!

Attachments

• 20190112_100729 (1).jpg
    20190112_100729 (1).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 91150_lg7.jpg
    91150_lg7.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 53

El Gringo

Thank you. I haven't put it down much, or stopped smiling since it got here this morning. Wildwood was amazing to work with, and I am pleased with the R9 neck profile.

Nice guitar !

Cliff Gress

IinvernessF7

It's strikingly beautiful. Understand this hurts a Michigan boy quite a bit.

We are just continuing to pay respect to a Michigan original of course. ( I do understand though, I would feel the same way if Lynchburg packed up the sour mash and moved off to Kalamazoo) LOL

Gibson2000_(508x345).jpg

Thank you though, I have actually made my fingers sore again this past week. I thought my calluses were tough, but I obviously was not playing enough.

renderit

That is a stunner for sure! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

How long did it take you to empty that barrel?

Cliff Gress

We are just continuing to pay respect to a Michigan original of course. ( I do understand though, I would feel the same way if Lynchburg packed up the sour mash and moved off to Kalamazoo) LOL

View attachment 8965

Thank you though, I have actually made my fingers sore again this past week. I thought my calluses were tough, but I obviously was not playing enough.

S!

IinvernessF7

That is a stunner for sure! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

How long did it take you to empty that barrel?

Not nearly as long as it should have. I had some dear friends who volunteered their time and efforts to help me get to the bottom of the barrel so I could start sanding and staining.

I really am impressed by the guitar. I know I started this post concerned with the neck profile, but after it is in my hands, I realize how different it is from the Epi. Honestly, the 59 neck feels smaller than the supposedly slim V3 '60 neck on the Epi. The Burstbuckers in the Epi have a similar tone to the Custombuckers in the 59 (of course I am playing and A/B comparing through the same Marshall or Fender Twin,) but the sustain of the 59 is so much greater that it changes the overall sound of the guitar. Plus, with the same settings, the 59 will get dirty at a lower volume level on the Marshall class 5, which has no reverb and usually requires the volume cranked on the amp with mid treble and low base to get it to start breaking up.

I am really a novice, and I don't know the correct terminology for what I am trying to describe, but the new 59 just sounds better to my ears. Then again, I have always loved old Allman Bros. and Marshall Tucker, so I may have just got the missing piece. Playing the middle position with the tone rolled back on the bridge pickup, twin reverb on 6 vol. 6 treble, 3 middle, 2 bass & reverb on 2 in the #2 reverb channel, I can hear what I have been trying to find, which is that Toy Caldwell sound.