• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1953 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop & 1974 Les Paul at Normans

lhric

They're called "fudge rings" and as far as I know there is no official reason why they are there.
There are however, lots of opinions and conjecture. :ganz

Hello
I have read elsewhere that according to an older Gibson employee that the “goof rings “ were merely just for decoration. They would do that to the guitars from time to time. Like on some of the 60s or early seventies they would cut and apply those diamond shaped plastic pieces to where the strap buttons are inserted.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
can the guitar not have the
rings AND be routed for minis ? no, of course that would be
impossible AND implausible !

WRONG. The overwhelming majority of these guitars were made with Minis and NO goof hiders. Why would you insist that would be impossible?

again, to clarify and ensure you have an understanding of MY
comment...

WTF?

the rings were used IN SITUATIONS to run mini / p90 in a hb
route.

No. That is absolutely not true. They were only used on Mini humbucker Les Paul Deluxes. They were never used on guitars with full size humbucker routes. Minis are humbuckers.

they can
also be used when a guitar HAS mini routes already. isn't that
a brain breaker ?

They were only used in that situtation.

You're a rude mofo.