• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1996 Les Paul binding on neck but not on body

Digieditny

Hi everyone. Nice to meet you all. I'm new to the forum. I just traded my jazzmaster for a 1996 les paul. I was told it was a standard. The body is beat to hell and it was painted black really badly. Like really bad. I was told it originally had a natural finish. The neck is in good condition and it plays amazing. How can I tell it's an actual standard? Th neck had trapezoid inlays and binding. The body doesn't have binding.

metropolis

Under the pickups you may find hand written markings denoting the model and original colour.

Under the bridge pickup mine says std+ for Standard Plus, while under the neck pickup it says LB for Light Burst.

Billy Porter

mmmmm……….
What looks like bonding at first glance looks like the maple cap. The heel looks like it was also painted black with the neck and back being sanded than coated with the back of the headstock left black

LPST - Les Paul Studio perhaps ?

The front of headstock with a new decal ?

Others here know more than me and should pipe up but my guess is it was an all ebony/black LP studio

Digieditny

No binding under the paint. Someone exposed the maple underneath to make it look like binding I guess... I measured the body thickness and it's the size of a studio.

Hah no getting back the Jazzmaster. You don't know the condition that one was in. :hee This plays beautifully though. The ugly ones do more stuff. Also applies to guitars.

Yes I also think it was a studio but I think it's a new neck but I'm not sure. The stinger in the back is super fake I think. I wrote Gibson and I'll let this thread know what their response is.

Mars Hall

Those mid 90's Studio are the closest thing to a Standard, than any other years. I believe only the binding separates it from being a Standard. There are several threads here, on the subject, giving more detail.

metropolis

I'm glad the mystery was solved so quickly. The lack of binding made me suspect it was a Studio but I didn't want to say without being sure. At least you're happy with the guitar. I think it looks cool and you have plenty of nice extras on there too.

Digieditny

Here is Gibson's response...

The serial number is indeed consistent with a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio model in Ebony finish, which would have come without binding from the factory. I have attached information on the model for your viewing. Note the 1996 model has a Rosewood fingerboard(it is listed as Ebony on the spec sheet). Thanks, and I hope this helps!

https://imgur.com/a/kTbEGmT

So it's a studio with binding added after the fact.

The only thing now that's a mystery is the body no? It's black on top, exposed maple on the edges, and mahogany on the sides and back. Was that how it came from Gibson?

metropolis

Given the serial number and markings on the body match up, could it have been either a special order or a mistake to have the binding added to the neck? I'd be surprised if someone got the binding added afterwards, and especially done the Gibson way of having it go over the fret ends.

Digieditny

Given the serial number and markings on the body match up, could it have been either a special order or a mistake to have the binding added to the neck? I'd be surprised if someone got the binding added afterwards, and especially done the Gibson way of having it go over the fret ends.

Thanks Metropolis. Wouldn't the Gibson support person have known it was a special order? I have no idea if they can or not... With that said, the binding is not perfect. Look at the pics showing the binding close to the body of the guitar. The dots aren't straight. I have no idea if that's an effect of a 20 year old guitar or if it's just a shitty binding job. I have an 81 Sheraton from Japan, and the binding on that one is pristine. That makes me think it's the latter.

metropolis

I don't know how closely they look at serial numbers to be honest. I have seen responses in the past where they haven't given any real information in response.

I see what you mean about that dot. The binding on my 2015 Les Paul isn't perfect either but it's more the way they finished it than having a dot completely out of position.