• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Origin 5c v dsl range v ac10c1 Jeff Beck style stuff

norton.rider

Hey everyone :) just starting the hunt for a new amp never had a valve amp before so looking at my first one.

Been watching videos on a few an the Origin 5 Stands out in my price bracket an the AC10C1 is right at the top end budget wise.

Been playing on an off all year after a few rubbish lessons as a kid. Current amps are a Pathfinder 15R an a Mustang III
Currently playing a lot of Jeff Beck Stuff well attempting to haha. Definitely maybe, Shes a woman, some Yardbirds stuff two rivers etc that sorta era an some blues an classic rock. Peter Green, S.R.V, Moore.

Looked everywhere for old posts on the Origin 5 but cant find much mention of it only the bigger wattage amps. Know theres some hugely experienced people on here so curious what you all would recommend :)

Currently using a 99 Les Paul Epi. AVRI Lefty Strat an a Tele.

Huge thanks in advance.

Cliff Gress

I am also interested in opinions on the Origin 5C vs. the DSLs.

Folks?

norton.rider

Here we go hope this might help cliff

Well had my first go on a Vox ac10 today
1f642.png
:) first ever valve amp I've played. just wanna thank everyone for the advice it's super leading the way at the moment compared to the Origin 5 I also tried which sounded very flat an didn't have much dynamics ended up using a plectrum just to check it wasn't the fact I usually use my fingers now that was what was making the vox sound so dynamic still sounded ace with a plectrum.

Shame the mexi Strat was banging itself outta tune so much reminds me how much I love mine now I've got the nack of setting the floating Trems up never goes outta tune unlike this one haha

Been on the hunt for a affordable valve amp that will be ok for home use to do Jeff Beck stuff an Yardbirds an other classic rock stuff

Tried to play the same few bits on all the different settings my fav is the vox up to now got dad to hold the camera away and then after that theres some close up sounds of the phone sat on top of the cab with the vox dry an wet with reverb same same as I did with the Marshall

Did get slightly mugged though asked to play a normal ac10 an didn't realise till I looked at the clip it was the VS version has a different speaker a Celestion Junior V Type vs A Celestion VX. Totally gutted as thats well clear of my price range gonna go out an play the AC10C1 tomorrow at another shop can't wait
clear.png
An try a DSL Marshall maybe.

Few Questions for Ac10 owners guessing they take pedals well? Never used one but was thinking that some sort of boost might get it dirtier sounding at the sort of low volume I had it at the cleans sounded amazig

My initial thoughts were for quiet playing the Marshall isn't bad but sounded quite wooly one tone as well not much picking dynamics eventually lots of twiddling an not much happening found a really nice mid range sound but took a fair bit of messing wasn't to bad though once I'd played it for 30 mins started to open up a bit such a shame they didn't put a 10 inch into it.

Vox wise it really could do nothing wrong lovely picking dynamics Vox chime bit of grit had to be carefull with the volume control where the Marshall was on 6 up the vox was just a whisper on the tone though was superb even at low volumes which surprised me.
The variable power mode was good on the Marshall as was the pull gain.
Gonna have a nice think on it over the weekend.

Took a few clips with my phone on the tip of the amp interesting listening to them back.

Also with my dad who has poor hearing an after asking him what he thought he loved the vox said it sounded more open an chimey.

To me it sounded like the origin 5 had a towel over the speaker really truly is a shame Marshall put that 8inch in fair bit of potential in it though
smile.gif
gonna go to another shop over the weekend that's got a smaller room might be a totally different story.

Thought the picking dynamics were brilliant on the ac10

Had high hopes for the Marshall an was a bit on the gutted side
Be interesting to see what you all think between the two.
nothing fancy phone wise just an old Motorola g4