• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Recent Explorers with good size neck?

StSpider

Say I wanted to get another Explorer without paying custom shop prices, but didn't want a skinny neck...Anything from medium upwards would be fine, really, but as far as I know all Gibson USA models from the past 2 decades have the so-called "60s" necks... Unless I'm missing something, which is likely!

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I know, I know... But hey, for $599.00? I'm thinking about buying one myself... Just a thought... :hmm

ExplorerKOLtdEd_Splash.jpg

https://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEXP2

StSpider

They all have hefty necks or just the "limited edition" ones?

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
They all have hefty necks or just the "limited edition" ones?

The only one I've played, which was the "Limited Edition", was from a few years back. As I recall, the neck was more like an R9, rather than a typical R8. It actually played pretty good, and it didn't sound too bad either. Again, we're talking about a $600.00 guitar... :peace2

StSpider

Is that one of the new ones? They look absolutely fantastic but the have a slim taper neck AFAIK. It's litterally the only thing I'd change about them.

Also I thought they had Grovers? But yours doesn't..Maybe I got the model wrong?

AA00475Bassman

Yes its the new 2018- 2019 I change all the hardware to aged added the kluson keys . the neck is slim but very stable IMO much better all round guitar than my 76 .

AA00475Bassman

Three piece body & 1 piece neck they did a very good job on the seams you need to look at the end cut to define the seams . These are standard base USA guitars nickel hardware & Burst Buckers . I payed 1600.00 !

K_L

Three piece body & 1 piece neck they did a very good job on the seams you need to look at the end cut to define the seams . These are standard base USA guitars nickel hardware & Burst Buckers . I payed 1600.00 !

Thank you so much for your reply! That is a beautiful Explorer--wow!! Happy new Year to you & to everyone reading this! :)

guitplayer

Say I wanted to get another Explorer without paying custom shop prices, but didn't want a skinny neck...Anything from medium upwards would be fine, really, but as far as I know all Gibson USA models from the past 2 decades have the so-called "60s" necks... Unless I'm missing something, which is likely!

After all that, whats the verdict?

latestarter

I had a CS split headstock Explorer that had an enormous neck. 2008 from memory. I purchased my ‘76 limited edition for little more than a new Explorer and it has a gigantic neck. Another option to consider!

deytookerjaabs

Just hunt places and people that will give you neck specs. "60's Slim"...eh. My LP Classic has a "60's slim" which measures .85-.95, my firebird "60's slim" I had was .85-.90 D shape, some of those budget satin models (did they do explorers like that? I know they had firebirds) guitars I've held had fatter necks. Sometimes "60's slim" is super skinny but there's many medium to slightly flat "60's slim" necks out there.

Uncle Gary

Just hunt places and people that will give you neck specs. "60's Slim"...eh. My LP Classic has a "60's slim" which measures .85-.95, my firebird "60's slim" I had was .85-.90 D shape, some of those budget satin models (did they do explorers like that? I know they had firebirds) guitars I've held had fatter necks. Sometimes "60's slim" is super skinny but there's many medium to slightly flat "60's slim" necks out there.

Yeah, Gibson DID do satin finished Explorers. My nephew has used one as his "number one" for a number of years. Nice fat neck on that one as I recall.