• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Positioning pots based on measurement

goldTopDeluxe

Hello all. Got me some new pots for a new harness, measuring 509k, 532k, 537k, and 549k.

I have the basic understanding that for volume, the higher the measurement, the brighter the tone. Note sure if this holds true for 'tone' pots as well?

Question is, what would be the suggested use for each one?

Which do i use for the neck vs bridge volume and respective tone positions - and for better understanding, WHY?

Mars Hall

549k neck vol
532k neck tone
537k bridge vol
509k bridge tone

This for my personal taste. I prefer the brightest for the neck volume to avoid the possibility of it sounding muddy. The 2nd brightest for bridge vol and so on for tone...

duaneflowers

549k neck vol
532k neck tone
537k bridge vol
509k bridge tone

This for my personal taste. I prefer the brightest for the neck volume to avoid the possibility of it sounding muddy. The 2nd brightest for bridge vol and so on for tone...

All else being equal, this is exactly how I would do it as well... :salude

goldTopDeluxe

Much appreciated - thank you all! :hank

Yep, I probably should have stated that first. Trying to get the brightest and most clarity I can out of the neck pickup.

Zentar

as a side note: I was building a Squier project guitar and was changing out the pots with CTS pots. I took my meter and measured the cheapy pots I was removing. They measured EXACTLY 500k each. The new pots varied in resistance but were all over 500k.

Why do I say the original pots were cheapy? Because the pole came out the body of one of the pots when I tried to get the knob off.

The pots are in parallel so you won't sense any difference between a 512k pot and a 524k pot.