• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: '92 SG Special

bblooz

I've played Les Pauls & Strats for years, but first SG just entered the stable! I have flirted with idea of picking one up for a while, but most I looked at were either POS or over-priced. I was stuck in the never-ending construction-zones on the way home from work one day and stopped in our local Music-Go-Round store in Troy, MI. Great place and the guys there are pretty knowledgeable and cool. Anyways, they had this used SG Spc in Ferrari Red. It's been played, but has a solid neck with a nice profile, ebony fretboard with pearl dot markers and nice, big frets (probably refretted at some point). Neck's not as fat as my Historic LPs, more like my '74 LP Std. Many SGs I've tried have real thin necks (like a LP Classic), which just aren't comfortable for my big mitts. Anyways, I played it, liked it, and brought it home to treat myself to an early Christmas present.
92gibsonsgspc04-jpg.346826

renderit

Beautiful!

I love SG's. Actually my first electric was an SG!

Play the snot outta it!

AA00475Bassman

I played one last summer great playing & sound loved the ebony board , Slept on buying went back and she was gone !

mdubya

Congrats. :yah

My #1 gigging guitar throughout the 90's was a 1991 SG Special. A bizarre gardening accident took out the bridge pickup which I replaced with an early 90's '57 Classic Plus. Mine has an ebony board and a maple neck and with the '57 Plus, it is a tone machine.

AEECVSI.jpg

zombiwoof

I have a Blue Metallic finish SG Std. from that year, and if the neck on your is anything like the '59 rounded profile on my Standard, it is a great medium size rounded profile that I find to be perfect, not too slim and not too fat. That was a great year for SG's IMO. The LP Standards at that time also had the option of the rounded '59 neck profile or the slim taper, which is an option that I think Gibson should go back to, instead of making almost all of their guitars with the slim taper profile, which I dislike.
Al