• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why did you buy a collector's choice guitar?

maplebaby

I got a Reeder because it was an amazing guitar. I didn't know much about the original, nor did I really care. In a way that made it better, there wasn't much hype to be lived up to. There were two in the store at the time I got this one. The other one was nice, but the flame was too much of a symetrical chevron for my taste. I suspect it was a Frehley that was re-purposed. The one I got stood out from all of the other reissues I tried. The flame and color were crazy amazing to me. The top carve is also a bit deeper than the other '17's of that time. And this one has a unique chirp to the higher end that almost mimics a French jazz horn - to my ears.

Love your guitar - thanks for this post!

I got a Reeder because i know Mike, I have the good fortune to have met Brad Whitford and have a personal connection with him and i love everything about the guitar even without the other connections. Here's mine # 25.

lxw5UkBl.jpg

I imagine there is a wide variety of reasons.

I imagine some people were looking for a copy of a specific guitar and hoped their CC would be close. Probably some just like the idea of getting a LP that's speced like an old one and/or looks and feels "worn in." Some folks probably really like some of the music that was recorded with the original or the artist that is most associated with a particular guitar. Probably some got to play one or hear one and something about it just really worked for them, so they bought it. I think a few CC owners own the original guitar and wanted one as kind of a backup, yes? And probably 50 other reasons I can't think of.

Good question. I bought two last year. Fantastic guitars. Bought both used at pretty large discounts off asking price....low 4s. Both were starting in the $6-7500 range which was a nonstarter for me. First one was a Whitford. I got that one because of the look. The look and feel amazes me. I took it to my tech with no explanation of what I was bringing in and he groaned and reacted when he opened the case......for a second he thought it was a burst. I then saw a Mick Ralph’s a few months later and the seller seemed eager to sell. I love that guitar. Total joy to play.

So to answer your question...... for $4000ish bucks I think they are the perfect compromise to a burst which are out of reach for most players. They look vintage, they play great, sound great, feel great. Only 700 or so bursts exist and considering there are collectors (who own several) which means only a couple hundred guys can own one. Then there is the investment. To me, at least my CC guitars, they are a great compromise to a vintage Burst and price wise it is in reach for many more buyers. Though I will say my 2013 Les Paul 1958 reissue is just as good minus the relic job.

There are limits. I have been after a #8, Beast, for close to a year. A guy locally this week wanted $14,000. The lowest I’ve seem recently is $10k. I just can justify that price for any of the CC guitars.....even #1. I’ve seen many regular production 1958 and 59 reissues that are gorgeous and equally great guitars . CC are great guitars, lots of fun, can scratch a certain itch, but they are not investment grade.

ReubenAxsentieff

Ace, I am not a CC owner but I tried all the ones I could, (how could I not?), and I have to say that every single Nicky I played was just a superb guitar, IMO. An exceptional run of guitars. There was also one, just one, Carmalita out of the three I tried that was as nice. A very special guitar Though it didn't look much like the real deal when Joe showed me it, (color was too red and really not as complex and carmalized as the original. Top was close and as I said a superb guitar but Nicky CC run just impressed me and I'm not a CC or cosmetic aged fan necessarily.

I think I understand why you grabbed yours. I bet it is superb.

Yeah man, I bought my Nicky in Japan and there were 6 different CC's in just that shop!! I was hunting for a True Historic BTW, It was a standout guitar in every way! I must've played all of them!! My CC#24 simply sounds and feels amazing!!

dlacx

I've owned many R8's and R9's. I purchased a Whitford Burst from Wildwood after playing it. Much lighter and the resonance was amazing. No comparisson with my others IMO.

The only thing I did not like was the inattention to detail on the plastics. The pickup rings, control knobs, and TRC were brand new and looked out of place. I've gradually replaced all o
f the plastic with relic'd pieces and it looks much more authentic. I only need to replace the Klusson's now.

For the price, I really wish they would have paid attention to these small features, but I absolutely love mine and think it looks much better now. Electronics in this one were near perfect, though. Sounds fabulous.

LeonC

I've owned many R8's and R9's. I purchased a Whitford Burst from Wildwood after playing it. Much lighter and the resonance was amazing. No comparisson with my others IMO.

The only thing I did not like was the inattention to detail on the plastics. The pickup rings, control knobs, and TRC were brand new and looked out of place. I've gradually replaced all o
f the plastic with relic'd pieces and it looks much more authentic. I only need to replace the Klusson's now.

For the price, I really wish they would have paid attention to these small features, but I absolutely love mine and think it looks much better now. Electronics in this one were near perfect, though. Sounds fabulous.

Yeah, I understand your point. The guys who built these had a lot of decisions to make re: the degree to which they're going to try to duplicate the original guitars with all their various idiosyncrasies. They seemed to spend most of their energy on the wood/finish as far as that goes. On my CCs, they clearly spent some time/effort on some of the metal parts. Other than the labels on the switch ring, yeah, the plastic parts look darn near brand new. Most of the metal parts (e.g. bridge, tailpiece, Bigsby on my #14) were somewhat aged looking, but it doesn't look like they were nearly as "aged" as the wood parts and not all metal parts appeared to be aged (e.g., tuners button stems, covers). One of mine is a #14 (Waddy Wachtell) and I'm glad they chose not to break the neck of the guitar in 3 places (like his apparently was), lol...but it is a little bit odd that they seemed to do next to nothing to make the pickups and rings, knobs, pickguard, look a bit more worn.

Speaking for myself...I don't really care because I haven't been all that interested in "exact" replicas as I have been in something that just feels kinda worn in. But it did strike me as a little odd.

Roddy 69

I was searching for a great Les Paul and went to a store in Frankfurt germany to check out several LP's. I tried quite a few R9's and other custom shop models (in total around 10 different ones) but the CC #8 The Beast stuck out. It just screamed. I am very happy with it. Even unplugged you can immediately sense that it is one of the better Les Pauls around. I bought it for 5.9 k Euros and it sells for approx 10-11 k currently on reverb, so even the value has gone up. But I will never sell it anyway, it just gives me a good feeling on top to being wonderful to play. But my all time favourite Gibson is not the cc8 but my 2003 KK Downing Flying V. It is by far the greatest guitar i own. Anyway I am happy with my CC and if another great one pops up and I have the cash available i would buy one again. Cheers

youngneil1

Been through a number of Les Pauls, and wanted to take a step up to the CC`s.

Found a "Shanks" CC#7 within my budget and pulled the trigger. After that I got a bit carried away and bought a "Montrose STP" CC#28. Both GREAT guitars!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
While not part of the Collector's Choice Series, I did own one the the Rossington Signature Series Les Pauls. As much as I always loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, it didn't influence my purchase. I went to The Philly Guitar Show in 2004, and saw three different examples and compared them to an original '59 burst. The Rossingtons were the most authentic looking (to vintage original) reissue at that time. Mine was a great guitar, and one that I never should have sold.

youngneil1

While not part of the Collector's Choice Series, I did own one the the Rossington Signature Series Les Pauls. As much as I always loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, it didn't influence my purchase. I went to The Philly Guitar Show in 2004, and saw three different examples and compared them to an original '59 burst. The Rossingtons were the most authentic looking (to vintage original) reissue at that time. Mine was a great guitar, and one that I never should have sold.

Do you remember if it was on the `heavier side`.
I considered a GR before I bought the CC7, but found it to be too heavy...

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
The Schaller tuners on the Rossingtons add considerably to the weight. I put a set of Klusons on it , and the weight dropped from 9.1 lbs to 8.6 lbs.

youngneil1

The Schaller tuners on the Rossingtons add considerably to the weight. I put a set of Klusons on it , and the weight dropped from 9.1 lbs to 8.6 lbs.

The guitar I considered was 4,49 kilos:wow And eventually the deal breaker..

Last edited: