• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Magnets really make a dramatic difference in pickups

JPP-1

It surprised me how much a difference alnico magnets can make.

A5s are very dry taught focused with great bite
Overtones are diminished -that shimmery fuzz around the note is almost completely dissipated
Exciting transient edge works well a looser amp that breaks up with lots of harmonics

A2s Warm, lush, shimmering, lots of overtones from low mids to high mids
Feels like the pickup itself is breaking up into the amp when pushed
Transients are softer, there’s more give but this can feel soggy at the wrong settings
These magnets really need toget dialed in via pickup height to let the upper mid presence to push through befor the swirling harmonics.

A3s Maybe the ideal blend, lush shimmering overtones, good upper mid presence
Provides nice bite and sparkle with harmonic bloom similar to A2s but less likely to overwhelm
More klon than tube screamer.
Another magnet that really needs to be dialed in via pickup height so that there’s enough power and sustain and they don’t sound weedy

A4s sound similar in many ways to the A3s but with a little more extension at the frequencies ends
They do wooden and dry very well without the overtone suck of A5s
In fact A4s can really sparkle and cary a lot of overtones without ever sounding indistinct
The great transient attack is only surpassed by the A5
Of all the alnicos I tried the A4s varied the greatest. Some A4s sounded great while other sounded a little too hard and sterile

Anyway, I’m really surprised at how different the same pickups in the same guitar can sound just by swapping some alnicos. A cheap reversible mod that can change the feel and tone of your guitar

renderit

Thank you!

Nice synopsis!

Kinda explains why my style prefers the lower numbers as I'm sloppy and bland and it colors my playing up and makes it so much more interesting...

Does anybody make an A1? Or is that just for meat?

J.D.

Furthermore, playing with each magnet's strength (gauss) can offer up more tones. I went through a phase where I experimented with a lot of different pickups and magnets and it was very enlightening. I'd really recommend that any gear/tone nerd do it at some point.

goldtop0

It's a pains taking business the swapping in and out.........a labour of love and discovery....thanks for the analysis:2cool

JPP-1

Thanks guys. lol, I need to do a better job editing instead of being in a hurry to get the words out.

Just a note with regard to the above, the Alnico Vs I used were unoriented. I really liked these at first listen. Very crunchy but the lack of overtones became quite stark in the context of playing another Les Paul with A3s.

Also I used 2 sets of alnico 2s, 2 sets of alnico 3s and 3 sets of alnico 4s. I was surprised that there were even tonal differences among the same Alnico magnets. For instance, I had a pair of 2s that were really big and juicy but they also seemed to emphasized pick attack so I end up preferring a slightly softer sounding set. I may revisit those 2s again.

It is a bit of a pita to loosen and tighten strings over and over again but once you do it a couple times it goes fast and pretty easy.

Dreman

I recently decided to try A4s after wanting something stronger than an A2 but weaker than an A5.

Google served me up this page from Lindy Fralin. This resource was a big factor in helping me decide on a Fralin "Modern PAF" which I'm awaiting.

I'm hoping it to have the fullness of a medium, even-wound A2 (like the 490) with the tighter top-end provided by an A5.

Last edited:

LtKojak

I'm hoping it to have the fullness of a medium, even-wound A2 (like the 490) with the tighter top-end provided by an A5.
Actually, the best suited alnico type for the description given is the Un-Oriented Alnico 5 (UOA5).

Dreman

Actually, the best suited alnico type for the description given is the Un-Oriented Alnico 5 (UOA5).

I'll have to educate myself on that. Any way to try them without a magnet-swap? I.e., are they offered in a currently-made humbucker?

LtKojak

I'll have to educate myself on that. Any way to try them without a magnet-swap? I.e., are they offered in a currently-made humbucker?
Only Throbak offers a stock set with that magnet, AFAIK. Are you afraid of spending five bucks?

The Seymour Duncan forum's always been the most pro mag-swspping there is. Start your search there and look for posts by Blueman335 and Lt.Kojak.

El Gringo

Thank you!

Nice synopsis!

Kinda explains why my style prefers the lower numbers as I'm sloppy and bland and it colors my playing up and makes it so much more interesting...

Does anybody make an A1? Or is that just for meat?
Right now I would love nothing more than a nice strip steak with some A1 on the grill

JPP-1

Yes that is the consensus.

It could be the particular UOA5 I tried but afaic, the A5s stood in stark contrast to all the other magnets in that harmonic overtones really collapsed around the fundamental. There was a dryness and and a bitting crunch that I really liked at first until directly compare to a similar R9 with A3s when the lack of overtones was drastically apparent. I mean the difference was way bigger than a d18 vs a d28. I which I had a spectrum analyzer because I know what my ears heard.

A2s are juicy and round with and abundance of overtones that stand really in stark contrast to the UOA5.

The A4s to me sound closer to the A2s albeit with a touch less mids and a little more weight in the highs and lows. The less softness and compression gives it a woodier bite but without the loss of rich overtones.

J.D.

A4 is a very good choice as is A2, generally speaking. A3 can be a bit thin and A5 can be a bit harsh. Really depends on the guitar and the strength (gauss). There's really no absolutes, which is why it is so interesting.

TM1

I have probably six mid-Sixties T-Top's that I loaded with the ThroBak A-4's! They sound alot better that stock T-Tops ever thought possible..

Sol

Hi TM1, I've heard that a full length alnico 4 in a T Top can bring it into a tone character range not dissimilar to a PAF.
Is there any consensus amongst 'those that know' about this asurtion ?

I'd like to know as I have an early TTop that measures 7.4 K Ohms and has its short alnico 5 magnet ( I assume it's an A5..) And have a range of alnico mags on the way to experiment with.

I'm interested in the results you and others may have had in this regard ?

LtKojak

Hi TM1, I've heard that a full length alnico 4 in a T Top can bring it into a tone character range not dissimilar to a PAF.
No. The T-Top wind and the PAF wind are very different. The magnet wire is different (#42 AWG PE wire for PAFs, #42 AWG SPN wire for T-Tops). Not even the way they're put together is similar.

To use a singer voice type analogy, the PAF wind's inherent tonefootprint is Luciano Pavarotti, and the T-Top is James Taylor.

Most T-Tops and Shaw p'ups used short A2s, coming from the Thomas & Skinner foundry in Indiana. That's what stated in old, Gibson purchase documents I had the opportunity to see.

corpse

I have probably six mid-Sixties T-Top's that I loaded with the ThroBak A-4's! They sound alot better that stock T-Tops ever thought possible..

Holyshite! That’s what I did. I thought they were too ice picky and the A4’s delivered the goods. Get Yer Ya Yas Out heaven. These were Pat Sticker T Tops. Got rid of the chrome covers too. Big tone suckers. Put them in the case.
Changing the magnets is easy- all the springs and screws are a PITA.

Elmore

JPP-1, I agree. I put 500K pots and Duncan Antiquities in my ‘87 Prehistoric/standard. The bridge sounded thin. So I put in a Stewmac full strength A2 in the bridge only. It disappointed me at first, but over time, the tone changed and it now sounds great. I now believe the “settle in” theory.

TM1

JPP-1, I agree. I put 500K pots and Duncan Antiquities in my ‘87 Prehistoric/standard. The bridge sounded thin. So I put in a Stewmac full strength A2 in the bridge only. It disappointed me at first, but over time, the tone changed and it now sounds great. I now believe the “settle in” theory.
You really should use the ThroBak magnets. The ones Stewmac uses are Chinese. ThroBak are U.S. made and are the original formula Gibson used back in the 50’s/60’s.
Get some of the VIP pots.

El Gringo

You really should use the ThroBak magnets. The ones Stewmac uses are Chinese. ThroBak are U.S. made and are the original formula Gibson used back in the 50’s/60’s.
Get some of the VIP pots.
ThroBak is where it's at !