• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

brass vs stock zinc ABR-1 ....

Pinnacle Machined Bell Brass Nashville TOM guitar bridge for Gibson Les Paul, SG

Pinnacle Machined Bell Brass guitar bridge for Gibson Les Paul, SG - Chrome

Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies

They have many different Units at different prices... not all are expensive. They do have ABR-1... Might want to see if
Pinnacle has their own site as...Phili does not have the same wide selection for ABR's Apologies.

The link below was just a quick link for me to Post.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...lle-tom-guitar-bridge-for-gibson-les-paul-sg/

#2 Re: Custom Shop Historic Light Weight TP Studs? Brass or Zmac?

Last edited:
The reason why it works the way you describe it is in the fact that it compensates for other parts being of wrong alloy. One brighter sounding hardware part is compensated with the other darker sounding hardware part. All of the stock original nickel ABR-1s with brass saddles used in '56-'62 were made of Zamak and these guitars were perfectly able to produce those tonez we all know, and they still are, if stock. Zamak used did not 'suck out great part of string energy'. It is the result of ALL metal parts (and wood) doing shaping of overtones in synergy. There is no one magic ingredient. one magic part or alloy.

If all other metal parts were made today equally to original alloy specs, there would be NO NEED to use brass for ABR-1 body. While I know how full brass ABR-1 sounds and how huge of improvement that is, be 100% sure it is a remedy, and it simply is NOT a cure. ALL metal parts should be made of the exact same alloys as on originals.

However, until someone gets why we will not have the original timbre/tone without the original alloys hardware, brass ABR-1 body will do it, even with carbon steel saddle screws (test them with magnet, if you will).

Great insight, That's why I just got this... the Bridge on the Link. The Bridge.. due to the 3 different metals it is made of... also way less expensive than others they have; that have other options for metals... Not an ABR but still same type of situation.
So, with a light weight TP it is Aluminum, has Steel anchors, Brass studs. In my case I/m not going for exact Original Specs... This is a Dark sounding, fairly heavy Korina Explorer with an Original early Timbucker: fyi

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...o-matic-nashville-bridge-fits-gibson-guitars/

Last edited:

Joe74

I have a ‘74 Custom. Bought in ‘84 from original owner and it’s all original and I think I need a new bridge. I want to replace with as close to original hardware as possible, where should I get it? Was thinking Stewmac. I tried to post a picture but it was massive with no room for text.

c1f80ebb-55e1-4fd1-a0b5-6c383afa0e2d

here is the link

one of the finest abr-1 you can buy at any cost

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/index.php?language=en
Thank you very much for that link yeah I thought I needed to Nashville and Philadelphia has great at Nash Ville bridges with all kinds of metal choices for posts..saddles. and etc. etc. but I need an ABR one .. I need to find either a lightweight aluminum with various metals for posts and saddles. Brass titanium aluminum steel Or a brass heavy bridge etc. etc. but thanks again for that link I need to go online now off my phone to translate to German.

Last edited:

Garincha

All of the stock original nickel ABR-1s with brass saddles used in '56-'62 were made of Zamak

Zamak is a term that is only known in anglo-saxon und french language area. In other parts of the world those alloys (there are actually 3 of them) are known under different names. Those alloys were specifically designed for zinc diecasting and were developed in the 1930s. And they haven't canged since.

Every ABR-1 which is made from zinc diecasting is actually what you call "Zamac".

One actual example which comes to my mind is the Faber ABR-1. Since they are a German company they don't know the term "Zamac" but what they use the same thing.

Dr. Green

I think that a machined billet is much better than a casting

I am never going back to the original abr-1 from Gibson

Joe74

Thanks stumphead. Next time I pull the bridge on my ‘74 Custom I will take notice of the writing stamped on it.
I believe it’s part # pbbr 020. Solid brass with gold plate.
Kronos and mahogany. What year is yours? Might take pbbr 065.

deytookerjaabs

As for a bridge for your '74 it shouldn't be hard to find an original era ABR, just be patient and don't pay stupid money as some people ask hundreds of dollars for them on reverb. IIRC they're the same from '65 or so to '74 but I'm not an expert. I paid $40/shipped for a base without saddles for my '68 ES340 a couple years back then just used new saddles.

For the mystery of all mysteries of the magical alloys, can't someone just get that **** analyzed already...I'll contribute to the go fund me :) Like the "old growth" debate or whatever, it's 2019..do we not have folks in white lab coats who can solve these riddles? I'll tell ya what we do know: the "golden era" they sure a **** didn't have 20+ different variations of ABR's on the market, too many options, too little time!