• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Former NASA engineer designs glitter bomb trap to avenge Amazon delivery theft victim

Triburst

Now we know how the Mars rovers worked so far past their "warranties." This guy is an engineer's engineer. :salude

mdubya

Thanks for that Ed. :dude:

I am in the proper Christmas Spirit, now. :salude

deytookerjaabs

Too bad it couldn't launch leprosy.
Effers.

+1 LOL

Mine would have shot out something more nefarious than glitter and fart spray.

Hate thieves.

Eh, my buddies Dad used to make him steal cartons of smokes from the local gas station when he was a teen. It was that or get his *** beat so I'm not sure he deserved a carton of leprosy? Some people are just too sheltered to have a clue what it could be like out there but we so hard when we on the 'net :laugh2:

That said, great idea and the engineer was smart enough to not make it lethal/harmful beyond a minor inconvenience. ****ing thieves were clearly not even 'bangers either, jeez, just regular folks with a side of scumbag.

musekatcher

Too much, lol. If someone would pay me, I'd retire and do this for a living. Full-time. Discount rates. Comic justice nobody can refute - awesome and brilliant.

J T

The moral of the story is get the tracking number and be home when the package arrives.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
The moral of the story is get the tracking number and be home when the package arrives.

If you don't work at home, get a lot of packages from Amazon, and live in a big city where Amazon theft is rampant, that can be very difficult to do. Fortunately, Amazon has their locker system in many cities for those people.

J T

Yeah it's a real problem if you can't get the day off or get a neighbor to cover for you.

What I've experienced lately is those lazy ass delivery drivers don't seem to have the desire to lift their finger ring the doorbell. I'm home! Ring the bell dumbass!

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
This was later debunked as a staged event.

Only partially:

Rober's viral video has been viewed more than 40 million times. It features a highly engineered fake Amazon box that exploded glitter, emitted a stench and recorded supposed thieves reactions – all at once.

Rober said that during the creation of the video, he provided compensation to a "friend of a friend" for placing the bait package on their porch and successfully capturing a thieves reactions.

After internet sleuths closely scrutinized the video and alleged inconsistencies, Rober addressed two reactions, totaling about one-and-a-half minutes in the original video: "It appears (and I've since confirmed) in these two cases, the 'thieves' were actually acquaintances of the person helping me."

The video featured five reactions in total Rober said.

Rober apologized for the error, saying that both the device itself and the reactions it captured after leaving his porch were legitimate: "I know my credibly (sic) is sort of shot but I encourage you to look at the types of videos I've been making for the past 7 years. This is my first ever video with some kind of 'prank' and ... it's pretty removed from my comfort zone. I should have done more. Full stop."

So it appears most of the reactions were real. And it's still a great idea in terms of punking the punks who steal packages.

J.D.

Yeah it's a real problem if you can't get the day off or get a neighbor to cover for you.

What I've experienced lately is those lazy ass delivery drivers don't seem to have the desire to lift their finger ring the doorbell. I'm home! Ring the bell dumbass!

Agree, good observation, none of the deliveries are accompanied by a ring anymore.

J T

Agree, good observation, none of the deliveries are accompanied by a ring anymore.

Something interesting today. Kind of windy day today. I picked up a freshly crumpled piece of paper in the yard and was about to toss it into the recycle bin when the corner of the paper caught my eye. "Fedex". I uncrumpled the paper and it was a list of deliveries. It had to be from today because it poured rain last night and the paper was still crisp, not soggy. On the paper was a spreadsheet style list of Names, phones numbers, delivery instructions, and other bits of personal information on who I assume got deliveries today. All the names had checks next to them.

Well it seems that the delivery driver was done with that paper, crumpled it up and tossed it over his shoulder, whistled a happy tune and went on with his day.

They don't give a toot about anyone's personal information.

There ya go.

T.Allen

Needs a mist of thin glue, stinky glue, just before the glitter bomb.