• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Notches on a wraparound bridge?

fakejake

Hey all,
My '65 SG special came with notches on the wraparound bridge. Trouble is, they are rather poorly made and the action between the strings is quite uneven.
Now I wonder whether I should (a) ask my tech to make them even but thus necessarily deeper, or (b) get an unnotched replacement bridge and use that.
I'd like to use the vintage one if possible just for the sake of originality, but if notches are not such a great idea to begin with then I'd rather get a new one. Function over form!
Cheers!

latestarter

Put the old one in the case and buy a new MojoAxe compensated bridge. Make sure when you notch the slots it’s only very slight nick, enough to hold. These bridges look great too...same profile as original. I’ll find a photo of my 65 Special with one on.

GuitarMikey

I've been using a Mojoaxe compensated on my 63 Special for a while now....without any notches :salude
Works fine.

fakejake

Thanks guys, I just ordered an aged Gibson nickel lightning bolt bridge, hopefully it will arrive before the Holidays.
Now the only thing thats left is to take care of on this guitar a noisy volume pot....

Zentar

There's a trick to notching saddles. Both the spacing and the depth of the notch are exact.
Strings are not equally spaced.
The notch for the high E is not the same depth as the low E.

Study up before you notch a bridge