• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Carr Mercury VS. Mercury V... What Should I Buy??

So I've been searching for a boutique amp now for sometime and have finally decided on the brand Carr. After taking a 2.5 hour road trip to the nearest Carr dealer to test them out, I have decided I want a Mercury. At the shop where I went I played a brand new Mercury V and LOVED IT! However I didn't care for the vinyl color or the jacked up price this dealer was asking for it so I sadly left empty handed. So before I order a new one in the color I want and at the normal retail price, I'd like to know everyones thoughts on the last generation Mercury.

When I started this journey I thought that the Mercury and the Mercury V would be nearly identical but it appears they're quite different. I am fine with the features on the last gen model and the lower wattage but I don't want it to sound completely different from the Mercury V. Also, I normally purchase mint condition used gear. It's easier on the wallet and in this case it lets me get the amp now instead of waiting several months to have one made for me. The only problem is there are no used Mercury V models currently on the market since they're pretty popular and relatively new.

So what do you guys think? Should order my own custom and pay the big money, wait for a used Mercury V to pop up, or go for the last gen model now???

All the best, -M

Carr-Mercury-V-Slub-Brown-Gator-Combo-Main.JPG

renderit

I bought mine at Humbucker Music.

They always have a good selection and great prices.

You want the V.

It stands for Very good amp.

You can play it 'cobbed' at pretty low volume.

I think what he came up with on that is a real game changer (though I hate that term).

40455563902_ccd5c0e4dc_k.jpg

sonar

Wait for used if you can stand it. Boutique amps really take a hit on the used market.

renderit

This is TRUE.

But you can also reward genius by buying new.

So far I think I'm gonna go with the Mercury V. Considering I played it and loved it I know I'll be satisfied with it. I'm sure the Mercury is still an amzing amp and a safe purchase but the upgraded "V" version seems more in line with the features and sound I want.

Seriously.

Get a minty old Fender and keep your $$$ at resale.

The main reason I want the Carr is because of the attenuator. Being able to crank the distortion and volume to the sound I want and then rolling back the wattage is great so that I can save my hearing and so that I don't annoy my family with late-night playing. My main amp right now is a VOX AC30. It's seriously my favorite amp in the world... but it's just too much sometimes. My other amp is a '63 Vibroverb. Beautiful cleans but also too loud sometimes and not always the best for distortion. So that's where the Carr fits in.

I think I'll just keep my eyes open and hope I find a Mercury V that someone doesn't want. After all, you guys are right about the depreciation on these boutique amps!

renderit

The circuit for the 'attenuation' is the best implementation made yet IMO. It is so much more than attenuation. I am waiting for the boutique markets response furthering this course...

herb

I've got the older style. Had it for over 10 years (I think it's an '05). My most used amp as I play at home most of the time. I love the sound of that amp, especially with humbuckered guitars. You can't go wrong with either version. I've seen that the prices of used old style Mercs have dropped since the release of the V. I't would be a good time to pick up one of those if you could live with it. Check out Reverb. They have a real cool one custom covered with ostrich skin for just under $1600. That was a $2600 amp when new. They also have some that are $300-400 cheaper.

All in all, though, buy the one you want, which sounds like the V. You only live once. Have you tried one of Carrs dealers. One might have the V in stock and have them ship it to you.

geetarpicker

I’ve owned both versions, and had both for a few weeks to compare side by side. To me the V just has so much more versatility I felt it was worth the extra $.

joeh77

I have been looking at these two models for quite some time. I played a used Mercury a while back at a local dealer, but couldn't compare the two side by side. I love the idea of the features of the Mercury V over the Mercury, and the videos I've seen, especially the JD Simo one, made me think the V was the amp for me! Last week I saw a mint used black tolex one for sale on TGP. Contacted the seller and thought we had a deal. The next day he emailed me and said he had spent 3 hours playing the amp the night before and he had changed his mind about selling it! I tried to talk him out of it and made a counter offer, but he turned me down. About two days later he sent me another email saying he was willing to sell now. So we made the deal and I had the amp four days later! I've only had time to play it a bit, but I'm very happy with it at this point. Many experts say the Mercury V is a desert island, all time great amp!

The V is the right amp for me, but I know you can get some very good deals on the Mercury. They are entirely different amps, keep that in mind!

Good luck!

Joe

herb

Now you guys have me jonsing for the V. Should I sell my Merc and my Rambler and buy one?

So shortly after creating this thread I found an unused Mercury V being sold by one of those collectors who just has too much money and not enough space :nut!! Luckily for me I got a brand new amp with cover and all the paperwork for substantially less than MSRP. Honestly I don't think he ever even turned it on! So after living the amp for about three months now I think I can give you valid opinions on living with this amp day-to-day.

Let me start by echoing what @renderit said... YOU WANT THE V! Other than the fact that the previous Mercury amplifier looks similar to the new one and they share a name, the two couldn't be more different! I just think that you should definitely spend the extra money and go for the V! They are both great amps and are extremely well-made but the V is one of the most versatile amps I've ever found. Don't get me wrong, the first generation Mercury was outstanding, this one however is just next level good. I still consider my Vox AC30 to be my main amplifier and I still love that thing to pieces, but lately I find myself playing the Mercury V more and more. Although it sounds fantastic at the full 16W (and is extremely loud,) I prefer to run it with the attenuator at about 2W. It's great to play in the evening while everyone else is trying to go to bed or if you just don't want to blow your eardrums out. Honestly ever large tube amp should have an attenuator. Again, I think the Vox AC30 is one of my favorite clean tones from any amplifier but the Mercury V is a close second. The clean tones are definitely more reminiscent of an American style (some may say Fender) amplifier. But on the contrary the overdriven dirty tone it produces is more similar to that of a late 60s British amp (Marshall or Vox). The reverb is super glassy and when turned all the way up ungodly luscious and deep (surf sound). One of my favorite things about the Mercury V is how easy it is to transport or move around the house. Its just small enough for one person to carry. Sometimes I find myself home alone playing guitar in the kitchen, the bathroom, or even outside on the back deck. All of which are place that I would never take my Vox! So in conclusion although this amp is still very expensive second hand, I think it is well worth the money. Especially over the first gen model. The versatility and craftsmanship of this amp is hard to come by from any other maker. Between the Carr Mercury V and my AC30 I'm not sure I would ever need to buy another amplifier..... but like most of use, I have a gear addiction LOL
:hee
All the best, -Matthew

Now you guys have me jonsing for the V. Should I sell my Merc and my Rambler and buy one?

I have played a rambler before and I think it's an outstanding amplifier. However with that said I think the Mercury V could give you all the sounds of your first generation Mercury and Rambler. I'm thoroughly impressed with the Mercury V!

porterburst

I'm a huge Carr Amp lover, and have played them all. I use to own a Mercury V, and it is an outstanding amp.

I currently own my favorite, the Carr Skylark which is just amazing. Also really like the Carr Telstar and Rambler.

Last edited:

LPBlues

I prefer to run it with the attenuator at about 2W.

I just played a full band gig with the amp set like this. Mind you we were playing a legion and were told before we started “the members don’t like it loud”. We were still pretty loud, just not as loud as usual :).

NickChen

I have a question for the Carr Mercury V

Is he powerful enough to play with a band with a loud drummer (rock) in a practice room? Thank you!

NickChen

Is it powerful enough to play with a drumer (rock) playing loudly in a practice room?