• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Custom Shop Guitars and Ceramic Caps....

cluster

[FONT=&quot]I'm having an argument with someone and they are trying to tell me that the custom shop does not use ceramic caps in their guitars. I say they do. The 61 SG RI have ceramics and even the really expensive Custom Shop Firebirds are wired up with ceramic capacitors. Can anyone here confirm this? Can anyone please post some pictures of said ceramics in the control cavity. I've been trying to google the images but no luck. Thanks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PS: also, can anyone confirm the use of black shrink wrap in the control cavities as shown in the photo below? Also, can anyone here confirm the authenticity for a Custom S61 RI SG Custom Thanks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
IMG_0668-lowres.jpg[/FONT]

renderit

My 62 Junior has a ceramic cap. The brown 'kidney bean' ones (Sprague?). I have seen them so many times I am pretty damn sure they used them in the factory. And the black heat shrink on the lead through the control cavity to the output connector for sure, though most the time it may not actually be heat shrink, just a plastic tube...

I am not an expert, but I have seen these things so many times I can't believe they were all added after the fact.

As far as new ones the Bumblebees have a mylar cap inside I think.

Tommy Tourbus

My 2016 '63 firebird I reissue came with a bumblebee cap. Don't remember what my other 60's reissues had

Uncle Gary

Didn't I just reply to this very same thread over on The Gear Page?

My '62 SG reissue came with reissue bumblebee caps, but the 2010 ES-355 mono I owned came with small brown ceramic disc caps.

sws1

My 2016 '63 firebird I reissue came with a bumblebee cap. Don't remember what my other 60's reissues had

Here's the inside of the modern Gibson bumblee caps. Plastic / polypropylene.
DSC03253.jpg