• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help with a 1977 les Paul Custom

lynxmania

Hello,

First of all, I don't want to start another discussion about the 'Norlin' era.

I'm looking to buy a 1977 Les Paul Custom black. After reading a lot of articles/forums about the 'Norlin' era, I just don't know what to do anymore. Some say all the guitars from the Norlin era are bad, some say you have to look at/play the guitar to know if it's a bad one or not.
So that's the reason I'm asking your help. I'm hoping that you guy's can see on the pictures if it's a good one or not or tell me what to look for on the guitar.

The guitar was made at the Kalamazoo plant on september 14th 1977. The production number is 151 (info from Gibson)
According to the owner it has a 50's ebony neck

Pictures (sorry for the bad quality - they are from the owner):

IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1456.jpgIMG_1455.jpg

Thank you!

El Gringo

Looks good to me as an early 70's Les Paul Custom was my first ever electric which I still own to this day and use and love a lot . Norlin era Gibson's have a bad rep and they are good in m book.

Triplet

Looks fine. I have a '77. The TTops are awesome. I have the neck magnet reversed and the OOP is to die for... :yah

Midnight Blues

Looks pretty good to me. Do you have the opportunity to play it?

I have two Norlin's, a '72/'54 LE Custom and a '76 Deluxe both of which I've had for over 40 years and I love them. Don't believe what you read/hear about the Norlin era, there are good and bad guitars made in every era, including '58-'60, just like there are good and bad products made in every industry.

If you can play and you like it, buy it.

Good luck!

DvnLesPaul

All Access/Backstage Pass
Pretty much identical to my first LP, which I still own, since essentially new. What I can say from my point of view:
-Fretless wonder means pretty much what it says, I had mine replaced years later with medium tall and was very happy with the results.
-Pots/pups were quite muddy/dark IMO. Fairly simple, reversible mod to go with Throbaks and a prewired harness upgrade.
-Shy of 10lbs but fairly heavy
-Skinniest LP neck I've ever owned (of several dozen)
Everything that was ever white is now very dark yellow which is pretty cool now.
Maybe everything it WAS is everything you're NOW after, just wanted to let you know how mine came, and that it now rocks with the best of them...

your mileage may vary.

takeitslow

A 1973 came my way and I must say: really cool guitar!!!! Great neck, great sound and for just 8.83 pounds (about 4kgs)IMG_6172.jpgIMG_6179.jpg

Rex Carlson

I have a 73 Custom I bought when I was 16, so 42 years ago. It's heavy as hell but sounds great with the original T-tops, etc. and plays easy with those big fat, low frets. Maybe I got lucky. I've recorded with it a few times and I must say, I really like the tone I get. I think recording is the way to get a good feel for the tone of a guitar. It is hard to hear it all when you are playing and fooling around with knobs, etc. but recording and then listening can be real eye opening (including acknowledging to myself I need a few more lessons...). Unless he's crazy on the price, I'd buy it. You can always sell it later.