• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sedona AZ, any good luthiers/techs in the area? Also worried about the low humidity

RocknRollShakeUp

Will be moving there soon. I’m assuming I’ll have to travel to Flagstaff for luthier/tech services?

Also, I’m concerned about the low humidity. I will humidify the guitar room of course, shooting for around 40%. But, does anyone have any experience with whole home HVAC humidifier systems ?

Also, I may get back into gigging, what happens when you gig in that type of low humidity environment? Does your neck bow like crazy when you take the guitar out of its case in the club as it hits the 10% humidity level ? I guess I could get there early and plan on a truss rod adjustment before the show! Which may also mean that I’ll probably not be gigging my Fenders with a vintage style truss rod, cause who wants to remove the darn neck before a show :)

Any advice welcome.

Axelorox

As someone considering moving to Colorado I'm interested in these same questions.

As for the gigging issue, I guess part of it is where you're gigging. I imagine places like restaurants or bars will have higher humidity than the general environment due to all the water vapor released from cooking, etc.

renderit

As someone considering moving to Colorado I'm interested in these same questions.

As for the gigging issue, I guess part of it is where you're gigging. I imagine places like restaurants or bars will have higher humidity than the general environment due to all the water vapor released from cooking, etc.

And it is doubled by all the hot air guitarists telling their girlfriends they could do it better...

TM1

Go See my old friend Neal Moser in Prescott, Az.
5500 N. Robert Rd. (567.96 km)
86314 Prescott Valley, Arizona
Get Directions

oXiCJHPgn3c.png

(520) 831-1658

I've known Neal since 1970. He use to work on all my stuff back then and he also co-founder B.C. Rich Guitars. I use to go over to his place in Burbank back in those days..
Certainly a lot closer to you in Sedona than Phoenix! I have friends in Oak Creek Canyon and was there 3 times in 2017

Desertdawg

You're welcome.

So far as humidity issues are concerned, rule no. 1 is keep your guitars in their cases at all times except when being used. Forget guitar stands or wall hangers.

Sedona isn't as dry as Phoenix. Right now it's 32% humidity in my house which works well for me. I've never had trouble with laminated or solid guitars but I do keep a Dampit, without the plastic sound hole cover, in each of my acoustic guitar sound holes when in their cases which is enough to keep the neck humidified too.

RocknRollShakeUp

You're welcome.

So far as humidity issues are concerned, rule no. 1 is keep your guitars in their cases at all times except when being used. Forget guitar stands or wall hangers.

Sedona isn't as dry as Phoenix. Right now it's 32% humidity in my house which works well for me. I've never had trouble with laminated or solid guitars but I do keep a Dampit, without the plastic sound hole cover, in each of my acoustic guitar sound holes when in their cases which is enough to keep the neck humidified too.

Thanks again for the great tips. I was thinking of humidifying a whole room to like 40% or at least 35%, and hang a few on the wall, but I suppose it is better to just keep them in the case, humidified room or not.

Luckily I don't have but one acoustic, that I should play more, but I'll check out the Dampit for sure.

I will be looking at a home based HVAC humidity system, but that may prove to be very costly. It is good to know that you are getting 32% in your home without a humidifier.

I feel better now though, I was getting a bit spastic about my poor guitars starting to look like recurve bows! :D

Axelorox

You're welcome.

So what about the change in humidity when taking the guitar out to play in a drier environment?

RocknRollShakeUp

So what about the change in humidity when taking the guitar out to play in a drier environment?

And it is doubled by all the hot air guitarists telling their girlfriends they could do it better...

yeah no kidding!

well so for the clubs I figure it will be somewhat more humid in there due to everyone drinking and mouth breathing :hee

I have the opportunity to get into a few gigs that will be outside gigs though! it would be in the spring, so yeah, I'm just thinking of gigging my 2016 American Standard Strat and have an EJ strat as a backup or vice versa, and be prepared to adjust a truss rod at some point. With an empress para eq and pedals I could make those Strats sound like just about anything too.

I'm not planning on taking some of my more cherished guitars out, that's for sure. There is something to be said for having a few guitars that are great playing and great sounding but not too special, that could be used as gigging work horses!

Desertdawg

If you keep your guitars in their cases at gigs, apart from during your sets, you won't have any problems as they won't be exposed long enough to the air for any significant amount of moisture to be lost.....especially solid bodies. The good news is that the humidity is pretty constant here apart from the July/August monsoon season where, on some days it can get up to 80% or more. Again, the rule is "Keep it in its' case."

Since one of the real benefits of living in this area is the crystal clear air, I doubt that you'll achieve much with an extensive home humidity system, unless you're prone to some kind of dry air condition. My experience though is that most residents benefit from the ambient conditions.

Lastly, Billy o' Reilly has an excellent reputation and has worked with local players and major touring acts for years. Also useful for an electric player is that he shares his premises with Lowell Hunt, who is the man for amp work in this part of the world.

http://www.huntamps.com/projects/

RocknRollShakeUp

If you keep your guitars in their cases at gigs, apart from during your sets, you won't have any problems as they won't be exposed long enough to the air for any significant amount of moisture to be lost.....especially solid bodies. The good news is that the humidity is pretty constant here apart from the July/August monsoon season where, on some days it can get up to 80% or more. Again, the rule is "Keep it in its' case."

Since one of the real benefits of living in this area is the crystal clear air, I doubt that you'll achieve much with an extensive home humidity system, unless you're prone to some kind of dry air condition. My experience though is that most residents benefit from the ambient conditions.

Lastly, Billy o' Reilly has an excellent reputation and has worked with local players and major touring acts for years. Also useful for an electric player is that he shares his premises with Lowell Hunt, who is the man for amp work in this part of the world.

http://www.huntamps.com/projects/

I like what I’m hearing (reading)! Thanks for the reinforcements!

The funny thing is that I’m moving from Athens GA, and here half the year I have to constantly run my dehumidifier, and then, during thev winter season, I have to keep that humidifier humming 24/7. At least now I’ll only have to worry about humidification!

Desertdawg

I know the store. Used to visit Midtown Music too before it closed. Always liked their boutique amp selection.

RocknRollShakeUp

I know the store. Used to visit Midtown Music too before it closed. Always liked their boutique amp selection.

I never had a chance to check out Midtown Music!

Can you recommend any stores in the Phoenix area that carry high end new and used equipment?

Desertdawg

Probably the most famous is "Ziggie's" where Duane Eddy traded a Les Paul Goldtop for a new 1957 Gretsch 6120 then went on to record a stack of huge instrumental hits with it.

With the increasing use of Craig's List and Ebay as well as the big box stores like Guitar Center the music store business everywhere is constantly changing. This list is probably as good as any.

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=guitarstores&find_loc=Phoenix,+AZ

Then, in Flagstaff there's Arizona Music Pro https://azmusicpro.com/ as well as "Pops" in Prescott. http://www.popsmusicstore.com/pops-home.html

TcRoc

All I have for you is congrats on moving to Sedona.. that has been my plan for years. Couple more years and I'm there myself. where abouts in Sedona you moving too? West, Uptown , Village of Oak Creek?