• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Humidity vs a 335?

akstrat61

Can anyone advise me about the dangers of low humidity and a 335 in the winter? I live in a cold dry climate and just came back into playing a 335 after about 25 years of not owning a 335. I watch my acoustics carefully, but I tend to keep a couple of electrics hanging in my studio ready to go.:dude:

If you use a system, please include what products you use. My studio is open to the main level with no door, so a humidifier would need to be a whole house system.:hank

Bob Womack

They will react like any other guitar to low humidity: neck and binding will begin to mismatch, you may have fret sprout, etc. The body basically behaves like an acoustic guitar. You should humidify. I use a sponge in a ziplock bag. I wet the sponge and squeeze out the excess then insert it in the ziplock and don't zip it. I put an old washcloth around it and place it in the cutaway area in the guitar case. It works pretty well during times when the house gets down to 35-40%.

For whole room humidification you'll want an evaporative humidifier.

Bob

Midnight Blues

I use one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...s humidifiers for fretted instruments&index=2

Very easy; fill it with distilled water, place it in the case (between one of the horns is a good spot) and it lasts about a week before you have to fill it again.

Try keeping the humidity between 45% - 55%. If you have a separate room, you can always buy a humidifier that is comensurate with the size of the room.

akstrat61

Thanks guys, I'm on it. I guess I knew the answer, just wanted to see what others are using. I think I will use a combination of a couple of things to try and keep the humidity in check! Have a great Holiday Season! Peace!:dude:

Don

I use a large evaporative humidifier in my living space and a small one in my studio. This is the type that you fill with water and it has a wick in it. I put a small amount of bacteriostat in the water. I keep the humidity between 45-55%. It keeps my guitars' necks stable and reduces my sinus discomfort in the winter.

I also use humidipaks in my Martin's case.

akstrat61

I use a large evaporative humidifier in my living space and a small one in my studio. This is the type that you fill with water and it has a wick in it. I put a small amount of bacteriostat in the water. I keep the humidity between 45-55%. It keeps my guitars' necks stable and reduces my sinus discomfort in the winter.

I also use humidipaks in my Martin's case.

I also use humidpacks in my Martin case. I put a large humidifier in the room adjacent to my studio yesterday. I have th humidity up to 48% today. I ordered a couple of hygrometers to put inside a couple of cases to keep a closer eye on levels. I know the effects of humidity on guitars in general and I know what it can do to flattops, has anyone seen a 335 top crack due to low humidity??:hank

Uncle Gary

I used to use case humidifiers for my acoustics, but you have to be careful. If you over water them they will start to grow mold. I found out the hard way, so I stopped using them.

Now I use an evaporative humidifier in my living room where the guitars are. I don't worry as long as the humidity is between 40 and 60 percent. Even with the humidifier I cannot maintain 40 percent if the outside temperature drops below zero F. for several days, but if it's not for very long, I've had no issues.

El Gringo

I use 2 humidifiers in my home to have proper moisture in the air when the heat is on in the winter . I use the Holmes brand , as far as model# I can't recall off the top of my head . I also use a Dampit year round for my acoustic as it has a paper thin spruce top which will crack and warp, which has a pen clip which I run under the water a couple times then use a towel to wipe off excess water and clip it to the high E string into the sound hole . I have been using the humidifiers since 1994 and have had a lot of success doing this , as dry air in the house during winter months is an enemy of fine stringed instruments . I keep all of my guitars on stands year round and my guitar necks stay in pretty good shape , and ditto for checking and finish checks/cracks . In my home in the winter time is actually pretty stable environment . I have noticed in the summer during the heat and humidity that the neck on one guitar gets a little wonky or off , but I shall wait and see how it goes this upcoming year . Proper moisture is mandatory in the heating winter months in my book if you have valuable instruments .

fender69

Go to a Dollar Tree, Buy a bar soap travel case and a few cellulose sponges. Drill some holes in the travel case. Cut the sponges to fit in the soap case. Lightly dampen the sponges with distilled water. Put them in the soap case. Put it in the guitar case. Finished

LoidLiu

I use travel version of humidifier it is really compact, I even didn't expect that it might be that small (like these). Easy to use and no headache.

El Gringo

I run two cold air Holmes humidifiers at home and use the pen clip thing Damp it that you dip in cold water and then wipe for the Martin acoustic .