• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gold plating vs. brass

dnabbet2

I'm looking for lightly aged gold-plated Gibson vintage style strap buttons for my '54 Custom project, and all I see are either aluminum or brass. Did the original Customs not have gold-plated strap buttons? Is brass really an okay replacement?

Uncle Gary

Every Gibson I've owned with gold plated hardware had brass strap buttons. Of course, I've never owned a '50's LP Custom, so.....

Big Al

Every Gibson I've owned with gold plated hardware had brass strap buttons. Of course, I've never owned a '50's LP Custom, so.....

I've not seen that. Every gold hardware Gibson I've seen and those I own have gold plated aluminium buttons. I've not seen unplated brass ones.

dnabbet2

You know, I would've said the same thing, but I'm looking closely at the buttons on my '54 True Historic -- the way I should've done in the first place, my apologies -- and to my eye they do seem to be unplated brass.

Uncle Gary

You know, I would've said the same thing, but I'm looking closely at the buttons on my '54 True Historic -- the way I should've done in the first place, my apologies -- and to my eye they do seem to be unplated brass.

The only way to be sure would be to weigh the gold buttons vs. the aluminum ones. I know the "genuine Gibson" strap buttons I've purchased have been either aluminum or brass. I find it hard to believe they would be using something different for production. I know the "gold" buttons tarnish pretty quickly, which they wouldn't if they were actually gold plated.