• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

D string not intonating but all others fine on wrapover tail ‘61 SG JR

Adamtc4

Can anyone explain mechanically how that is possible. I’m not really sure how only one string can be about a half a tone off and all the others fine on the angled wrapover tail. Just physically doesn’t make sense to me. Any help or experience would be appreciated.

VamboRool

Usually it is the "G'/"3rd" string that does not intonate correctly on the Gibson lightning bar bridge as it is made for a wound string. Most players today use a plain 3rd string which leads to the intonation problem. I recently set up a 1968 SG Special using D'Addario 10s with a would 3rd (EXL 110W) and have had several customers like it and did not notice the difference until I told them.

David J

Usually it is the "G'/"3rd" string that does not intonate correctly on the Gibson lightning bar bridge as it is made for a wound string. Most players today use a plain 3rd string which leads to the intonation problem. I recently set up a 1968 SG Special using D'Addario 10s with a would 3rd (EXL 110W) and have had several customers like it and did not notice the difference until I told them.

'61 Junior did not have the lightning bar bridge. That came later.

toxpert

Try a new set of strings...at minimum a new D string.
Wound strings (like your D string) performance can be compromised when damaged or manufacturing defect.

What you are describing...I’ve seen with a brand new set of strings. Drove me nuts until I changed the offending string...and everything returned to normal.

Cheers

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Check the string slot in the nut. The highest point of that slot should be up against the fingerboard. If it is not, it will never intonate correctly.

El Gringo

Check the string slot in the nut. The highest point of that slot should be up against the fingerboard. If it is not, it will never intonate correctly.
Never have more true words been spoken as the infamous nut is ground zero for most of these types issue .