• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Good Luthier in the Providence RI area?

JaanQ

I live in the Providence RI area and I don't really know of any good guitar guys around here anymore. I do all my own repair and set up now but it would be nice to know of someone for those few things I'm not experience in. Thanks ahead of time!

Zentar

Jaan just do a search online. A metro area thre size of Providence will have several.

Don

Rachel Rosenkrantz for acoustics. She's in Providence. Glen Markel in Attleboro, MA. Dan Becker, also in Attleboro. These are just a few folks who I know. There are many more.

JaanQ

Dan Becker, also in Attleboro.
He seems to have disappeared. Web site etc is shut down, also many stories of guitars also disappearing. His store was only a few minutes from my house but his current reputation is why I was asking for personal recommendations in the area.

I know how to do an internet search... And I have, but there's hardly anything that comes up besides Guitar Center (and I know I can do better work then they do). For example, when I look up Glen Markel Attleboro, MA I get a White pages listing for his phone number but nothing at all about guitar repair. No Facebook page, nothing.

joeh77

I've been to Empire Guitars a few times. Is the guy there not good? Just wondering.

Joe

JaanQ

I've been to Empire Guitars a few times. Is the guy there not good? Just wondering.

Joe
Nothing on thier web site says anything about repair. See this is the kind of thing I've been running into. I don't mean simple stuff like doing a basic set up, I mean dining broken headstocks or warped necks etc.

I'll keep them in mind. I know there's still a lot of guys that don't advertise at all... You just have to know they're there.

Don

He seems to have disappeared. Web site etc is shut down, also many stories of guitars also disappearing. His store was only a few minutes from my house but his current reputation is why I was asking for personal recommendations in the area.

I know how to do an internet search... And I have, but there's hardly anything that comes up besides Guitar Center (and I know I can do better work then they do). For example, when I look up Glen Markel Attleboro, MA I get a White pages listing for his phone number but nothing at all about guitar repair. No Facebook page, nothing.

I haven't dealt with Dan or Glen in quite a while. I hadn't heard that about Dan. Glen was always kind of word of mouth. In fact, the first time I called him he asked where I got his number.

You could call Empire and see who they recommend.

kwikrp

Noll’s Guitar Cranston RI great guys very knowledgeable excellent skill very reasonably priced

PJ_D

I've been using Mike Pearlman for a few years and I'm very happy with his work. He repaired a broken control cavity in my '74 SG and it came out great. Really nice guy. His shop is on the Warwick Cranston line. I know he was sick for a bit so I'm not sure if he's taking on new work.

I did not have good results with Noll. About 12 years(ish) ago a student of mine brought a 64 strat with a slight fret buzz there for a setup. They returned the guitar unplayable and claimed it was beyond repair. They had also replaced the three 3 switch with a 5 way but had done a poor job of jumpering the wires and made a real rats nest under the pick guard. Maybe things have changes since then but I wouldn't take that chance. Incidentally Jim and John Moradian in Cambridge made the guitar perfect again after that debacle.