• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'57 Classics: Where's the love?

E.M.

I recently put '57 Classic pickups back in my CS-336 after using a fairly expensive, and well-known PAF replica. I also have '57 Classic pickups in my Gibson Custom 335. I have to say, they sound better in my CS-336 and Custom Shop 335 than the other after-market PAFs. How could this be, I asked myself? Now I am convinced that with the right guitar, bone stock '57 Classics can sound as good or better than boutique aftermarkets.

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by their '57 Classics?

Please share your stories. I am curious to see if other people have had success with their '57 Classics.

Keefoman

I've got '57 Classics in my 05 Explorer and my 13 ES335. They need to be dialed in, and upgraded electronics sure helps, but now I don't have any plans swapping them. They sound great! :)

ScumbackSpeakers

I have no good experiences with Classic 57, 57 Plus, and most Burstbuckers, God knows I have the extras in the parts box to prove it. They're all over the map in tone, and I finally gave up on them.

Then I hear someone else's newer Gibson and they sound decent, not great, but much better than mine ever did.

I chalked it up to the usual inconsistency in pickup winding from Gibson...which is why I went through a bunch of PAF's before settling on the three pairs I have in guitars now.

Monroe

I recently put '57 Classic pickups back in my CS-336 after using a fairly expensive, and well-known PAF replica.

Did the "well known PAF replica" also sound better when you first did the switch?
Sometimes any part change can be perceived as better if that's what we are hoping to hear...

I only have experience with one set of 57 Classics, also in a 336.
I'd describe them as OK, but I wasn't thrilled.
After doing the Mapleflame mod, and adding better pots with a 50s wiring scheme,
my desire to try different PUs in the 336 has diminished somewhat.
I would still like to try something else in my 336.... maybe even Burstbuckers? :hmm
But I'm no longer desperate to get the 57 Classics out.

Bob Womack

I've got '57 Classics in my favorite guitar, an ES-335, and '57 Classic and Classic Plus in an SG. Love both.

Bob

BurstWurst

My CS ES-339 was a dud until I got the 57 classics OUT of it. OX4s (and an RS vintage 335 harness) turned it into a great sounding guitar.

LtKojak

I
I've been very lucky of scoring a 1990 '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus set that sounded wonderful. After those, all the others I've tried have been a disappointment. YMMV.

Mars Hall

To my ear, the 57 Classic pu's, that came stock in my 96 R7, accentuated the lower mids. So much that the guitar sounded similar to a big bodied Jazz box guitar. Cool in it's own way but I wanted that LP sizzle.

mdubya

Not all '57 Classics are created equal. I have some that are great, like, really great.

My most recent set from 2014 I sent out to be rewound.

The ones from the 90's tend to be great, IMHO.

thejaf

I never once thought of changing the 57 classics in my 2000 LP Elegant. First and only guitar I never changed the pickups in. Didn't care for 57 classics in other Les Paul guitars though - I think it's either that particular guitar or that specific set is just good (or maybe both).

Keefoman

Here's how my Xplorer sounds with the '57 Classics:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/548744451%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-GJDyC&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true"></iframe>

Keefoman

Here's how my '06 Explorer sounds with the '57 Classics:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/548744451%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-GJDyC&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true"></iframe>

kerryboy

I had an set of 57 classics and I swapped them in and out of different guitars. Gosh, they sounded so good in everything. Eventually I sold them, don't really know why. The guy who bought them contacted me and said, man these are the best sounding pickups I've ever had. He was so happy with them. They are one set of pickups that I really really really regret selling.

El Gringo

Here's how my '06 Explorer sounds with the '57 Classics:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/548744451%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-GJDyC&color=%23ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&show_teaser=true&visual=true" frameborder="no" scrolling="no" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Nice tone and nice playing , my compliments , do I hear a Marshall amp ?

J.D.

They're excellent pickups. I particularly like how they sound in ES guitars. Of course they have a sound and aren't going to sound like a single coil or metal pickup no matter what they go into.

Like any stock Gibson pickups, alot of people don't like them when they're new, but as soon as they update the stock pickups the older ones all of a sudden become more desirable.

GILLMAN ROYCE

They're excellent pickups. I particularly like how they sound in ES guitars. Of course they have a sound and aren't going to sound like a single coil or metal pickup no matter what they go into.

Like any stock Gibson pickups, alot of people don't like them when they're new, but as soon as they update the stock pickups the older ones all of a sudden become more desirable.
First common problem with Classic '57/57+ that come stock is that often the bridge pup is just another '57 - no 'plus' as it's underwound. What the '57 taught me is that I don't like potted pickups. Originally ( 1990-92) the 57 WAS unpotted but no longer and apparently isn't used in the latest offerings by Gibson. I first tried going with what's become 'standard ' replacement mags: roughcast A3 and Unoriented A5 but still left me going meh after comparing them to Duncan Ants and Manlius 59LT. These are in two of my 335's. If you want bell like articulation , start with these two. Going to put Manlius Fat Diane in my third 335 and sell the Classics. I play jazz, blues and 60s/70's rock

Axis39

Way back in the late 80s or so, I played a vintage Les Paul, a refin'd '57. I was struck with how easy it was to play and how spectacular it sounded. It was like heaven.

I sought that sound (and playability) in a Les Paul for another 20 years before I stumbled upon one that even remotely compared. I wasn't on a day in day out search, but every now and again when I had some dough and the motivation, I would play a couple and nothing lit me up.... Until one day I stumbled upon a used 2008 Les Paul Traditional. It had a similar sized and shaped neck. It had the tone I was looking for... Like, it nailed that tone I had had in my head all those years. Yup, 57/57+. I really loved them even more after a very minor tweak in the height.

I loved everything about that guitar, except it's weight. it was pretty heavy and wore on me after long gigs. So, I reluctantly let it go.

I knew within months I missed that tone. I had an old '70 SG that needed it's next set of pickups and I scored a set on eBay. They really made that guitar sound spectacular. When I let that guitar go, I kept the pickups. They'll be going in another guitar here in a few months (I'm currently between permanent homes and recovering from knee surgery).

I really love the 57/57+ combo.

I do have two LPs now, but neither has 57's in it currently... One is a P-90'd Gold Top (which I love, love, love) and the other has a custom wound set of Zhangbuckers that nail the tone I was looking for with that guitar. But, i don't know that I will ever go long without another guitar with 57/57+ combo!

GeraintGuitar

I had a set that where total turd , I tried different mags , 50's wiring and even converted them from 4 wire to vintage braid and they were still crap .
But i recently bought a brand new single 57+ and im telling you now its the best pickup i own , its got that real classic gibson voice , it sounded completly different from the other 57+ i had , like REALLY different .

MDent77

I recently put '57 Classic pickups back in my CS-336 after using a fairly expensive, and well-known PAF replica. I also have '57 Classic pickups in my Gibson Custom 335. I have to say, they sound better in my CS-336 and Custom Shop 335 than the other after-market PAFs. How could this be, I asked myself? Now I am convinced that with the right guitar, bone stock '57 Classics can sound as good or better than boutique aftermarkets.

Please share your stories. I am curious to see if other people have had success with their '57 Classics.

I installed '57 classics in a LP studio of mine, I was hoping to get a hint of the tone I loved from Peter Frampton. I didn't get the exact tone yet still still found a killer tone I still love on my guitar...