• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'57 Classics: Where's the love?

WytLytnyn

I just noticed that the new Lee Roy Parnell CS LP has underwound Classic 57's. Love the cutaway on it.

Seriously thinking about dropping coin on this guitar....

LtKojak

I just noticed that the new Lee Roy Parnell CS LP has underwound Classic 57's.
Where exactly did you see that?

Gibson's published specs are STOCK '57 Classic neck /'57 Classic Plus bridge.

Well...?

Keefoman

Nice tone and nice playing , my compliments , do I hear a Marshall amp ?

I'm sorry... Wasn't aware the reply until now. The "amp" you hear is my own tweaking on a "Marshall" preset in Guitar Rig 5 software. :salude

c_wester

I have a set of 57 classics in my 2012 Gibson ES335 ( I believe it is... havent bothered to check the year out)
Well, it sounds great, bright and stingy roars like old wood.
But does jazz also.

It sounds like an old one as far as I can see.

I think its the wood but of course it has 57 classics.

I believe what sound I cannot get out of that guitar I cannot get out of any other either.

Sol

I have an early '57 classic from '92 - 93, mine is potted and measures 7.8 K at room temp 20 c .
At the time the '57 classic was a replacement for the 490 r in my '92 Les Paul standard, although the two pickups measured the same, and unusually the 490r was wound with plain enamel wire (I know that this is very unusual, but these things do happen).

I was disappointed that there was nothing to choose between the two except a slight increase in top end in the '57 over the 490r.
Being that they both use an Alnico 2 magnet when I swapped the magnets and the situation was reversed, it demonstrated that the '57 had a slightly stronger magnet and the better for it.

A balanced coil approaching 8.0 K in the neck position can really benefit from the right magnet with the right charge.
I've had good results with a full sized/charged alnico 2 ,great for bluesy/jazzy tones in the neck
My current favourite in the Classic '57 is a full length alnico 4 ,it's versatile in the neck and is a great alternative/approximation of the classic Angus Young T Top tone in the bridge.(One example of many!)

FYI: I'm referring to the classic '57 in the 7.7K range, as this matches the 490r and many T Tops.
It's a great pickup that can be voiced to suit your requirements with a little magnet swapping and patience

I didn't mean to to write such a long piece, hope that's okay with you all ,I left out all the pots and caps stuff to keep this from becoming a saga..