• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

thick vintage style saddles for abr-1 ... where to get ?

Dr. Green

Hi GUYS - FIRST POST !

was wondering where I can find abr-1 saddles which are the thick vintage style as found on 50's guitars

looking at photos of old bursts - its seems that the saddles were much beefier

any comments ?

vintage-abr-1-saddle-08.jpg

Bruce R

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Looks as if the newer ones come to a higher, sharper point. I got some replacement saddles many years ago and they appear flatter.

Sol

50,s saddles do appear to have a wider base, a good thing surely. However I have many images of late 50,s saddles with a very narrow top providing a very narrow contact area for the string.
What are we to make of this?

Personally I file down the narrow, sharp tops of the saddles for a more comfort when muting with my right hand, as a result my strings have a broader contact with the saddle, this seems to provide a less 'toppy' treble for the b and e
But a thicker tone on e and a not always what I want.

This is a tricky area requiring more forum input..

Arnold M.

Vintage Maniacs has recently put out some new repro bridges with fat, stubby saddles such as the ones used in the late 50's ..59 to be exact .. seems they've been out for at least a few months that I know of ... from what I gather no one at all is interested as I haven't heard a word good or bad about them ... I would have ordered one but communicating with this outfit so far has been an exercise in futility

garywright

Vintage Maniacs has recently put out some new repro bridges with fat, stubby saddles such as the ones used in the late 50's ..59 to be exact .. seems they've been out for at least a few months that I know of ... from what I gather no one at all is interested as I haven't heard a word good or bad about them ... I would have ordered one but communicating with this outfit so far has been an exercise in futility

I just looked out their site ..the abr repros are really nice ..but navigation on the site is futile..that is, if you only read the queens English ..seems to be a mention of Area59 ?

BurstWurst

The saddles on my 59 are worn well through the plating and somewhat rounded over (especially the E saddles) from play wear. Results in a very comfortable feel while palm muting. The sharp topped saddles on many historics I've played over the years have always annoyed/distracted me. Well worn saddles much less likely to draw blood in the "heat of battle". Nice to know someone is working to get the profile more accurate/comfortable.