• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My latest custom build

MartinTaylor

This is m version of a Les Paul with Australian Red Cedar top, Mahogany body and neck, Rosewood fretboard, Ebony pickguard and covers and Golden Age PAF style pups. My building background is more in acoustics but there is just something reassuring about the shape of a Les Paul. The top is all hand shaped, no CNC here, just plan old chisels, finger planes, scrapers and a little bit of paper. Nitro finish with just a small amount of transparent black burst in the top over the natural colour of the cedar.

IMG_3186_sml.jpg

IMG_3186_sml.jpg

IMG_3188_sml.jpg

IMG_3189_sml.jpg

Last edited:

Nick-O

That wood on the top has a ton of character. Nice work!

corpse

Distinctly redwood- check out a couple of Banker's redwood guitars.

MartinTaylor

Distinctly redwood- check out a couple of Banker's redwood guitars.

Not redwood, but Australian Red Cedar, Toona Australis. It's not really a cedar at all but closer to a mahogany. It is rare to find old growth pieces large enough for guitar tops now and the slab that this came off was salvaged form an old storm blown tree.

Roger65

That belongs in an art gallery. Absolutely superb work. The grain pattern on the top is gorgeous.

Axelorox

That is sexy!

The wood grain reminds me of dragon skin (if there were such a thing).