• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Humidifier for climate control and guitar storage

Axelorox

I'm getting back into guitar after a few years off and only now do I learn that humidity below 40% is harming my guitars. Where I live, humidity gets down to 30% in the winter. I want to humidify the air, but as I understand it standard humidifiers are kind of haphazard with the humidity generated, leading to fluctuating levels. Are there any humidifiers that can be set to maintain a certain humidity level?

F-Hole

You'd be better served looking at one of the acoustic guitar forum (e.g. UMGF), where there is real sensitivity to this type of stuff.

Tim

It's good to keep your whole house humidified as you're much more likely to get sick if your sinuses dry out. The easiest and probably most efficient way is to keep a pot of water on slow boil.

Midnight Blues

Too much humidity isn't good either. You should try to keep it between 45% - 55% if possible.

There are a number of humidifiers that work well, but if all else fails, you can try one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...s humidifiers for fretted instruments&index=2

I use them in both of my acoustic guitars, but they work well for electrics too. Just fill it with distilled water, find a place in your case to put it and you should be good to go.

sonar

I agree you should up your humidity level for general comfort during the winter. Guitars are less important.

For vintage/older acoustics dampen a paper towel, put it in a plastic zip lock bag and poke a bunch of holes in the bag with a fork or whatever. Put it in the case and keep your guitar in the case when not playing it...

that said, I keep a 65 year old Martin out in a somewhat dry and drafty abode during the winter with a generally humid and hot summer. She's been fine this long.

For electrics don't worry about it.

Midnight Blues

Not to disagree with sonar, but it's worth pointing out that the proper amount of humidity will also help to maintain neck straightness on an electric as well as keeping the fretboard moisturized. Don't forget semi-hollow electrics either.

Don

I use evaporative humidifiers- the type with a wick and fan in them. I use a separate hygrometer across the room to monitor them and set their built in hygrometer so it gets the remote hygrometer where I want it. Usually around 48%.

It's true that it helps stabilize the neck relief on electrics. It greatly reduces seasonal truss rod adjustments.

My sinuses and skin fell better, too!

BTW, do not trust any hygrometer that you haven't tested and either calibrated or set an offset for. Most are way off (10-15% or more!).

Mars Hall

Another benefit of a properly humidified home is heating costs are lower. It takes less energy to heat a humid environment than a dry one.

Midnight Blues

I use evaporative humidifiers- the type with a wick and fan in them. I use a separate hygrometer across the room to monitor them and set their built in hygrometer so it gets the remote hygrometer where I want it. Usually around 48%.

It's true that it helps stabilize the neck relief on electrics. It greatly reduces seasonal truss rod adjustments.

My sinuses and skin fell better, too!

BTW, do not trust any hygrometer that you haven't tested and either calibrated or set an offset for. Most are way off (10-15% or more!).

+1. I have three plus a "Nest" and the readings are all different.