• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90's in Flying V - KILLER (video and pics)

JimFog

I got a Faded Flying V body off of eBay a while back, and put it together with a bunch of nice, upgraded parts. Turned out to be an exceptional, extremely resonant and well-playing instrument. I originally had a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary 'buckers in there. They worked well, but I wanted to try something different, so I ordered a set of Pure 90's from BG Pickups. They're a humbucker-sized P90. I've tried other variations on that theme in other guitars, but the makers always seem to wind them too smooth and polite, without the midrange HONK and SNARL a good vintage P90 has. These NAIL that tone....absolutely. I'd been hankering for a Townsend-esque SG of some sort, and this was instant "Live at Leeds" the first time I hit a crunchy open chord.

http://bg-pups.com/pure90/pure90/

Here's a look:

47084530_10216356426358710_7235992829640572928_n.j  pg

Did the first gig with them this past weekend ( a nice loud rock band, backing a great Philly singer-songwriter legend, Kenn Kweder) and people just couldn't stop raving about the V. I figured I'd play it for a couple tunes, to make an impression, then swap it for my Les Paul or Tele, but with my Marshal Origin 50c and a Barber Gain Changer, it gave me all I needed with just the guitar knobs.......clean, twang, crunch and singing leads. Very, very impressive.

Here was the first extended solo of the night, and the point where I thought to myself "Hmmm, self.....we may have something here!". This is from right up front, so it's basically directly from Marshall ----->Your Ears........minus the ear-bleeding volume.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Axelorox

Sounds badass.

I've always wanted a V but the lesser ergonomics push it down the list compared to say an LP or SG. How comfortable is that one to play?

JimFog

Sounds badass.

I've always wanted a V but the lesser ergonomics push it down the list compared to say an LP or SG. How comfortable is that one to play?

Thanks.

Ergonomics are not an issue for me.....and as you can see, I'm not exactly sporting a trim "Rock Star Bod"!!. In fact, it's so light that it's more comfortable to play standing for long periods than any other guitar I own.

Some people don't like to sit with them, but if you hold it this way, its no issue at all.

flyingV.jpg

StSpider

Sounds great! As blasphemous as it might sounds, I overall prefer P90s, even over real p.a.f.s :wah

Elmore

Now that is cool. Making it your own with your own mods. I dig it. Great looking guitar. Great tone, and especially great chops. Rock on, JimFog!

JimFog

Thanks, guys. Nice of you.

It came out better than I even imagined.

renderit

Awesome tonez bro! P90's are IT!

And I don't mean creepy clowns peering outta sewer grates...

thin sissy

That is really sweet, you did good!

I've often wondered how a V with P-90's would be, I imagined it would be something similar to a Jr or a Special, which is a good thing :dude:

StSpider

I think thorn guitars made a korina V in 58 style with black soapbars... Only seen a picture of it on TGP tho.

JimFog

Thanks, guys.....the honeymoon phase has NOT worn off. Gigging it again tonight, and still absolutely loving this combo.

JimFog

I appreciate the nice words.....thanks!

This guitar is becoming quite the hit around here (Philly). I did a private party gig this past weekend, and the host gave me a hard time because I DIDN'T bring the V. I guess he saw it on my Facebook page and was hoping I'd have it. Here I was worried it might be a bit extreme for a business' holiday party. Heh.......silly me.