• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1962 Les Paul SG w/ Factory Horseshoe Bigsby - Common?

treyrab

Hi Everyone - :hank

I recently came across an original 1962 Les Paul (SG) with a factory Horseshoe Bigsby. Is there any way to know how many were shipped with this option (or any guesses)? It's primarily the reason that I bought it, as I'm not a big fan of the other vibratos, but really love this. Appreciate the help! Cheers, Trey.

44349561680_f437e135ef_b.jpg

garywright

beautiful !!!! ...i have no clue how many shipped w/bigsby ...maybe do a little behind the scenes investigation and contact the man slub whom knows of those who might :hank

GuitarMikey

I have no idea how many either, but I remember seeing one locally a few years ago. I dig it much more than the sideways.

latestarter

'62...I haven't seen many with a Bigsby. My early '65 had one from factory...looks just like yours here.

TxWpLwR.jpg

57gold

The most famous one with the horseshoe Bigbsy:

SG-2.gif

The 1962 one looks killer!

Looks like Mick's has Les Paul on the truss rod cover. These are very rare. What a find.

Sold my 1963 Ebony Block, which had unbelievably sweet PAFs. Hope yours does, as well.

El Gringo

SG-2.gif

Looks like Mick's has Les Paul on the truss rod cover. These are very rare. What a find.

Sold my 1963 Ebony Block, which had unbelievably sweet PAFs. Hope yours does, as well.

I wonder if this SG came from the Stones vault/horde of guitars or did Mick Taylor bring this with him when he joined the Stones ? I am sure this info is in the Andy Bubiak book of the Rolling Stones equipment .

treyrab

SG-2.gif

Wow - What a cool picture. One of my favorite players. Do you know what year Mick's was?

StSpider

I wonder if this SG came from the Stones vault/horde of guitars or did Mick Taylor bring this with him when he joined the Stones ? I am sure this info is in the Andy Bubiak book of the Rolling Stones equipment .

That's a great question! I THINK the Les Paul was Keith's? But I have no idea about the SG.

57gold

Can only guess, but since it has the Les Paul moniker, 1961-62.

Here it is in action with close ups during the solo:

El Gringo

That's a great question! I THINK the Les Paul was Keith's? But I have no idea about the SG.
Correct , the Sunburst Les Paul was Keith's and when Mick Taylor was still with John Mayall he got a call to go to the studio and meet up with Ian Stu Stewart who sold Taylor Keith's Sunburst Les Paul. To think Keef the riffmaster was one of the first to use the holy grail of electrics the Gibson Les Paul Standard .If I had to venture a guess maybe Keith got his Bigsby equipped Sunburst Les Paul maybe in 1964 when the Stones first toured America ? That is just a hunch/guess ?

cincyguitar

Those sure are some pretty SG/Les Pauls !.....I have a 67 SG and a 90 SG...always looking for another one...:dude:

Jeff West

Nice looking guitars! I have a later ‘65 SG STD (small batwing, some chrome) that came with horseshoe, looks just about like Latestarters.

Mick T had the famous SG/LP as on Ya Yas cover from when he was with Mayall, was using onstage in U. S. in late 1968, with a Marshall.

El Gringo

Nice looking guitars! I have a later ‘65 SG STD (small batwing, some chrome) that came with horseshoe, looks just about like Latestarters.

Mick T had the famous SG/LP as on Ya Yas cover from when he was with Mayall, was using onstage in U. S. in late 1968, with a Marshall.
Thank you for the info .