• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

True historic backs

Analoga1p

Was wondering if the true historic red aniline die backs are considered to be vintage correct?

Arnold M.

Was wondering if the true historic red aniline die backs are considered to be vintage correct?
I don't know if the backs are vintage correct but I have a TH and I think to color of the back is too dark IMHO

dowhatthouwilt

As far as aniline dye being correct for original backs yes that is accurate. As all standards have been exposed to some level of sunlight we don't know how dark the backs originally would have been but here's a control cavity. You can use the inside finished portion of the control cavity as reference to what shade it would have most likely been. 078.jpg

P.A.F

To me they're totally correct, they're quite dark, but is how bursts were when they where new.
Mine is fading a lot! Red it's turning to a light brown colour just like originals. I'd say that it is half way between a natural back and a new one.
Just give them a LOT of hours of playing and you'll be surprised of how beautiful they turn

Analoga1p

To me they're totally correct, they're quite dark, but is how bursts were when they where new.
Mine is fading a lot! Red it's turning to a light brown colour just like originals. I'd say that it is half way between a natural back and a new one.
Just give them a LOT of hours of playing and you'll be surprised of how beautiful they turn

Thanks good to know I never knew they were originally dark like that.

Analoga1p

As far as aniline dye being correct for original backs yes that is accurate. As all standards have been exposed to some level of sunlight we don't know how dark the backs originally would have been but here's a control cavity. You can use the inside finished portion of the control cavity as reference to what shade it would have most likely been. View attachment 8784

thank you I gues originally they were dark and faded as time goes on.

P.A.F

Thanks good to know I never knew they were originally dark like that.

if you look at some mint burst that have retained all of its red colour like the african burst or many others you can see how dark they were.
the only "wrong" thing on true historic is that on a lemon burst ( a faded top) you have an unfaded back. lemon burst should come with a lighter back.

renderit

if you look at some mint burst that have retained all of its red colour like the african burst or many others you can see how dark they were.
the only "wrong" thing on true historic is that on a lemon burst ( a faded top) you have an unfaded back. lemon burst should come with a lighter back.

That is kinda what I would have guessed.
Although, I just love the 14 R8 I got (color wise) with the yellow top and bright red back.
It kinda is it's 'own thang'.

Guitardon

As far as aniline dye being correct for original backs yes that is accurate. As all standards have been exposed to some level of sunlight we don't know how dark the backs originally would have been but here's a control cavity. You can use the inside finished portion of the control cavity as reference to what shade it would have most likely been. View attachment 8784

Cool thanks for showing the true color. I love the dark red and figured it was correct.

TM1

I remember seeing a few original 50's Bursts back in the late `60's/early `70's and the cherry backs and neck were pretty dark. I thought it was really lovely!