• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe Perry '59 VOS (2013): VOS or Aged?

rym

Joe Perry '59 Historic Reissue (2013): VOS or Aged?

Hello all!
As you can see on my profile, I'm new here :eek:la

I've never been a LP guy (I mainly play ESP and PRS), but lately I'm convinced on buying a Les Paul. I've got in mind the Joe Perry 59 2013 historic reissue. I've been reading a lot of great things around here about these guitars. Well, now I would like to ask you if there are construction and quality differences between the VOS and Aged editions (of course, apart of the aging ;)). Any other advice when looking for one of these? Any detail that I should pay attention?

Thanks to everyone! any advice, comment, etc. is welcome!

Last edited:

Tim Plains

No construction or quality differences. Aged guitars may feel broken in, that's about it.

Lenny

I have an aged version, it sounds amazing stock and the aging is first class Murphy work. I've had loads of Murphy guitars and it ranks tops for me especially because he aged the back of the neck to a super smooth feel, which is not often the case.
I would also point out that this model has, to me at least, the ideal neck profile.
I've owned an aged Pearly, a CC#1 (Peter Green) and what not, this is the first one that really has no cumbersome shoulders while retaining the right depth and a lot of that is the result of the relic process.
I'm guessing the Murphy will cost quite a bit more but I think it's worth the difference.

rym

this is the first one that really has no cumbersome shoulders while retaining the right depth and a lot of that is the result of the relic process.
I'm guessing the Murphy will cost quite a bit more but I think it's worth the difference.

well, that’s the point I was looking for. I have no doubt that Murphy’s work on this model is top notch, as a lot of people has stated the same, buy how the relic process can affect on the quality of the guitar (or the sound)? I would understand that if someone could confirm that gibson uses better woods or better building processes on the aged/signed guitars.

thanks for the replies!