• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Made to Measure program

Axelorox

Who has experience with the Made to Measure program? How long do orders (within the US) usually take?

I pulled the trigger on a J185 12 string through the Made to Measure program via my local store. They didn't really have a specific time frame, just saying it would take around a couple months.

renderit

I had one take around a year.
36321316725_0f51c949ab_k.jpg

springhead

That is rather lovely. For all the burst or at least sunburst finish and flamey maple chasing there's something very appealing about a black top Les Paul.

renderit

That is rather lovely. For all the burst or at least sunburst finish and flamey maple chasing there's something very appealing about a black top Les Paul.

Yes. This is what is under it...

35484935484_ca68f04b69_b.jpg

And my new pickguard thanksses to MojoAxe©™℞

43895562040_7c224c6d30_k.jpg

Axelorox

Lovely guitar. Did your specs differ a lot from any other model Gibson has produced before?

The J185-12 I ordered actually is based off the same specs of a guitar that Gibson has recently (within the past decade) produced for a well-known musician. Cool story there, but I'll wait until the guitar is in hand to post a thread.

ScumbackSpeakers

Made to measure...do you get to supply the neck carve / thickness / etc dimensions for them to build?

El Gringo

Beautiful Made to measure Black Les Paul Renderit ! . Why did you replace the pickguard if I may ask ?

renderit

Mine are all True Historic Spec Made to Measures which were called Historic Selects.

I went through Wildwood so I had THEM working on my behalf.

I specified a '55.

They insisted on a 55 neck carve (deeper oval kinda like they were trying to 'soft V' it...).

I wanted a beautiful flame top to match my HS4 to 'tease when it gets worn'. (See Picture Above)

I insisted on Gold hardware and Custom Buckers Wildwood underwound.

They were good with that.

I insisted on a red back and stinger, they obliged.

I wanted a pretty fat neck, low weight and an awesome build.

The first one they finished Wildwood rejected before I saw it. Said the neck was wonky.

This was built to match a historical piece presented to Elias Dunwoody "Wee Willy" Johnson By E. Claire Bonchance in 1958. She could not afford the Custom and had a 55 modified to (what she thought) would match. She had the 'long guard' pick guard made thinking that was what 'the more sophisticated guitars' had.

I am happy with it like a pig in stuff. It is my crown jewel. It now has VIPots, Grey Tigers and vintage wire pickups.

It is the part of my 'Terrible Trio of Tonez'.

HS4 - Fool's Gold
HS5 - The Black Widow
HS6 - Mother's Worry

35512151673_afea885904_k.jpg

36143136192_79c2a529f4_k.jpg

35925243910_41ef0a2bc1_k.jpg

36277887246_3b536b5e8e_k.jpg

AA00475Bassman

Those three guitars have really ruined the guitar thing I'm so jealous!!! The flamey Gold Top has a pot belly!

Uncle Gary

Dag, Ren, I'm not normally a fan of black guitars, but I'm willing to make an exception for that one. That's a sweet guitar there.

renderit

The Mother's Worry (black HS6 with brown back) and the Fool's Gold (HS4) were both spec'd by the master's at Wildwood. They did a batch at that time and I got the idea to do the HS5 when I bought them. The Mother's Worry is getting a new pair of Thrōbak '56's this weekend. It already sounds excellent but I want each of these 3 to be unique. I trust the Thrōbaks are gonna put it over the top. Then I'm getting a set of his 52-54's for the Golden Goose.

Back Fool's Gold
36175670811_a3a7d249d4_k.jpg

Golden Goose (left) Fool's (right)
35474817644_8520cd762d_k.jpg

Back and carve on Mother's Worry
36185417321_37d76ff395_k.jpg

36277908616_2ad5cc5448_k.jpg

Mother's now has a True Historic Amber Switch Tip. I thought the black did not look right and Wildwood got me one.

1jamman

Who has experience with the Made to Measure program? How long do orders (within the US) usually take?

I pulled the trigger on a J185 12 string through the Made to Measure program via my local store. They didn't really have a specific time frame, just saying it would take around a couple months.

I did a M2M RO RI LP back in 2014 .... AFAIK ,these days , the program has morphed some into having a basic set of "options" you pick from to make a basic build . IIRC Neck size is in that . I think you can also spec a neck further , which will add an upcharge to the build . Ask the Dealer about that as it's been some time since did my build .

IIRC Music Zoo had a listing of al the basic spec options available and that might be a good place to look .

Build times vary due to work load of the CS . IIRC a ~ 6 week average, is the normal quoted . But if they are busy ,it will take longer . I am not sure about Acoustic build times . Ask your dealer to Ask Gibson . If it is a "couple of Months" wait time , that's pretty good , and in the "normal range ,imo .

I have the PDF saved on my computer , but can't seem to post it here . If anyone knows how to , or if it can be done , let me know how and I'll post it . It's like 14 pages and ~ the complete outline of the program . From Gibson ....

Pics when you get it .... Please ....:salude

Last edited:

Bruce R

Axelorox

Yesterday I heard from my dealer that Gibson is shipping the guitar out on Wednesday, for arrival next week. So the original "couple of months" estimate will be quite close, if this all pans out smoothly.