The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Made to Measure program

Who has experience with the Made to Measure program? How long do orders (within the US) usually take?

I pulled the trigger on a J185 12 string through the Made to Measure program via my local store. They didn't really have a specific time frame, just saying it would take around a couple months.

Re: Made to Measure program

I had one take around a year.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I had one take around a year.
    Cor blimey, that's a bloody beauty.

Some things are worth waiting for.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Les Paul Forum Member

That is rather lovely. For all the burst or at least sunburst finish and flamey maple chasing there's something very appealing about a black top Les Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by springhead View Post
    That is rather lovely. For all the burst or at least sunburst finish and flamey maple chasing there's something very appealing about a black top Les Paul.
    Yes. This is what is under it...

And my new pickguard thanksses to MojoAxe©™℞

Lovely guitar. Did your specs differ a lot from any other model Gibson has produced before?

The J185-12 I ordered actually is based off the same specs of a guitar that Gibson has recently (within the past decade) produced for a well-known musician. Cool story there, but I'll wait until the guitar is in hand to post a thread.

Les Paul Forum Member ScumbackSpeakers's Avatar

Made to measure...do you get to supply the neck carve / thickness / etc dimensions for them to build?

Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful Made to measure Black Les Paul Renderit ! . Why did you replace the pickguard if I may ask ?

Mine are all True Historic Spec Made to Measures which were called Historic Selects.

I went through Wildwood so I had THEM working on my behalf.

I specified a '55.

They insisted on a 55 neck carve (deeper oval kinda like they were trying to 'soft V' it...).

I wanted a beautiful flame top to match my HS4 to 'tease when it gets worn'. (See Picture Above)

I insisted on Gold hardware and Custom Buckers Wildwood underwound.

They were good with that.

I insisted on a red back and stinger, they obliged.

I wanted a pretty fat neck, low weight and an awesome build.

The first one they finished Wildwood rejected before I saw it. Said the neck was wonky.

This was built to match a historical piece presented to Elias Dunwoody "Wee Willy" Johnson By E. Claire Bonchance in 1958. She could not afford the Custom and had a 55 modified to (what she thought) would match. She had the 'long guard' pick guard made thinking that was what 'the more sophisticated guitars' had.

I am happy with it like a pig in stuff. It is my crown jewel. It now has VIPots, Grey Tigers and vintage wire pickups.

It is the part of my 'Terrible Trio of Tonez'.

HS4 - Fool's Gold
    HS5 - The Black Widow
    HS6 - Mother's Worry

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Those three guitars have really ruined the guitar thing I'm so jealous!!! The flamey Gold Top has a pot belly!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

Les Paul Forum Member

Dag, Ren, I'm not normally a fan of black guitars, but I'm willing to make an exception for that one. That's a sweet guitar there.
    My guitar style is "islands of competence in a sea of mediocrity."

The Mother's Worry (black HS6 with brown back) and the Fool's Gold (HS4) were both spec'd by the master's at Wildwood. They did a batch at that time and I got the idea to do the HS5 when I bought them. The Mother's Worry is getting a new pair of Thrōbak '56's this weekend. It already sounds excellent but I want each of these 3 to be unique. I trust the Thrōbaks are gonna put it over the top. Then I'm getting a set of his 52-54's for the Golden Goose.

Back Fool's Gold

Golden Goose (left) Fool's (right)

Back and carve on Mother's Worry

Mother's now has a True Historic Amber Switch Tip. I thought the black did not look right and Wildwood got me one.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelorox View Post
    Who has experience with the Made to Measure program? How long do orders (within the US) usually take?

I pulled the trigger on a J185 12 string through the Made to Measure program via my local store. They didn't really have a specific time frame, just saying it would take around a couple months.
    I did a M2M RO RI LP back in 2014 .... AFAIK ,these days , the program has morphed some into having a basic set of "options" you pick from to make a basic build . IIRC Neck size is in that . I think you can also spec a neck further , which will add an upcharge to the build . Ask the Dealer about that as it's been some time since did my build .

IIRC Music Zoo had a listing of al the basic spec options available and that might be a good place to look .

Build times vary due to work load of the CS . IIRC a ~ 6 week average, is the normal quoted . But if they are busy ,it will take longer . I am not sure about Acoustic build times . Ask your dealer to Ask Gibson . If it is a "couple of Months" wait time , that's pretty good , and in the "normal range ,imo .

I have the PDF saved on my computer , but can't seem to post it here . If anyone knows how to , or if it can be done , let me know how and I'll post it . It's like 14 pages and ~ the complete outline of the program . From Gibson ....

Pics when you get it .... Please ....
    Last edited by 1jamman; 12-24-18 at 11:11 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

I have a M2M Explorer which is quite frankly amazing. I bought it second hand, AFAIK it took about 6 months before it arrived. I have some CCs and «regular» Custom Shop Gibsons but this thing is next-level. Just do it.

some pics here https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...t=Ngd+explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Phatfrank View Post
    I have a M2M Explorer which is quite frankly amazing. I bought it second hand, AFAIK it took about 6 months before it arrived. I have some CCs and «regular» Custom Shop Gibsons but this thing is next-level. Just do it.

some pics here https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...t=Ngd+explorer
    Beautiful guitar!! I really love the wood & finish. It's not Korina, right?
    "Know tubes, know tone. No tubes, no tone"

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BGReed2 View Post
    Beautiful guitar!! I really love the wood & finish. It's not Korina, right?
    It’s mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by 1jamman View Post
    Pics when you get it .... Please ....
    Will do! There's an interesting story behind it that I'll share once all is said and done.

Yesterday I heard from my dealer that Gibson is shipping the guitar out on Wednesday, for arrival next week. So the original "couple of months" estimate will be quite close, if this all pans out smoothly.

Les Paul Forum Member

Still waiting on a white 3 pickup SG Custom for close to a year.