• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Orville by Gibson Or Epi Elitist

Chris1547

I’m getting the itch to pick up another Les Paul and thought this time around I’d look into an Orville by Gibson or an Elitist.

I have found a real nice ‘94 goldtop that is an Orville and a 2004 elitist burst that owner upgraded with Wofletone Dr. Vintage pickups and Faber bridge and stop.

Both are the same money. 1k each.

I’ve read a lot and it seems like both brands have a loyal following but it seems like many say the elitist are a little better in terms of fit and finish?

Which is the better one to go with?

I just bought a used metro-plex so I don’t want to go north of $1000 for a guitar so that’s why I’m not looking at an actual Gibson even though some of the tribute model goldtops are pretty appealing for $700-800.

c_wester

PLease stay away from both.

Buy a Tokai Love Rock from 1984-1985.

There are some on Reverb and Ebay.
Also when you get it feel free to compare to the most expensive Gibson Historics you find.

ScumbackSpeakers

Haven't played the Epi Elitest, I own four Orville LP's. You'll probably want to change the pickups, pots & caps on the Orville (if it hasn't been done already), and perhaps the rest of the harness. Some of their stock wiring, toggle, jack, etc were pretty cheap fare. I swapped all that out on mine, did a fret dress and setup and they are great playing/sounding guitars.

I've had some Epi's from the 90's, nothing newer, sorry. But all the Epi's got the same upgrades as the Orvilles.

I hear good things about some of the Tokai guitars, no personal experience.

If it were me I'd play them both, and make your own decision, but I think the Orville would have a better resale value if you ever had to sell it.