• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Timbuckers

Rayvyn

Anyone got the details on "timbuckers" or even better yet, some sound files?

Dave P

Tim White made them. They were pretty popular here for a time. I had a early set he rewound for me from old, dead Shawbuckers. Tim had a pretty long waiting list, and eventually got burnt out winding pickups in his spare time and quit making them some time ago. To me, they sounded very crisp, with a lot of clarity. I no longer have mine, after I started making my own I sold off a lot of my boutique pickups.

James-Italy

And pictures! It helps us hear them dammit!

Can't hear much from a pic, but here they are. :dude: Tim wound me a set back in 2004. They came with nickel covers but I never put them on. I think he made different winds for different tastes. These are the EdA wind.

DSC_0681.jpgDSC_0682.jpg

tom wu

I sold my Timbuckers a while ago, and have been kicking myself ever since. Do you guys know which pickup winder makes a pickup with similar tonal clarity, etc?

Hamerfan

I sold my Timbuckers a while ago, and have been kicking myself ever since. Do you guys know which pickup winder makes a pickup with similar tonal clarity, etc?

Timbuckers were so called 'pure handwounds' with no machines evolved. The is extremely time consuming and you need to be concentrated and calm handed to do so. The other winder i know who does that is David Plummer aka Zhangbucker, but be prepared to pay an upcharge to his hand guided (means with machines wound) standard pups.

PaulD

Timbuckers were so called 'pure handwounds' with no machines evolved. The is extremely time consuming and you need to be concentrated and calm handed to do so. The other winder i know who does that is David Plummer aka Zhangbucker, but be prepared to pay an upcharge to his hand guided (means with machines wound) standard pups.

I think you are misunderstanding what "hand wound" means. All pickups will be wound on some sort of coil winding machine, it would not be a viable option to make them without some sort of coil winding machine.

Hamerfan

I think you are misunderstanding what "hand wound" means. All pickups will be wound on some sort of coil winding machine, it would not be a viable option to make them without some sort of coil winding machine.

I do not misunderstand it, because i am a winder myself. I do 'hand wounds' too, but in fact they are only hand guided.

Pure handwounds are laid turn by turn, layer by layer without any machine. This is extremely annoying and time consuming. I did it for one bobbin and won't do it again. Maybe its me, i am not patient enough or dedicated for such things. By the way i learned knitting at school, but never knitted a whole thing, only one part of one sock.
The only guys i know who do 'pure handwounds' are Tim and David. If you do not believe me, look at zhangbucker.com

Last edited:

goldtop0

I do not misunderstand it, because i am a winder myself. I do 'hand wounds' too, but in fact they are only hand guided.

Pure handwounds are laid turn by turn, layer by layer without any machine. This is extremely annoying and time consuming. I did it for one bobbin and won't do it again. Maybe its me, i am not patient enough or dedicated for such things. By the way i learned knitting at school, but never knitted a whole thing, only one part of one sock.
The only guys i know who do 'pure handwounds' are Tim and David. If you do not believe me, look at zhangbucker.com

Well that's something I didn't know...........literally very painstaking.......I'll treasure my Tims as I reckon they're a work of art being that handcrafted......with blood sweat and tears....... and that's why Tim stopped .. god bless 'em.

Dave P

I know there are some coil winders with a hand crank, but why would that make a difference? Just seems like a lot of extra work. All of the old PAFs were done on a machine like a Leesona or a Meteor with a fixed winding pattern.