• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Lynyrd Skynyrd Guitars

VamboRool

Anybody know any information on Lynyrd Skynyrd's guitars? Be curious to know what year Steve Gaines LP Custom was and where it is now. Where Alan Collins Explorer and Firebird are, etc. Is it known where Alan got the Explorer and what he paid for it?

garywright

very interesting ..i've always loved the look of his explorer ..to me, the added short vibrato w/spoon handle looks great ..but can you imagine someone doing that today to a '58 :bug

sputnik

These guys are the whole reason I got into playing in the first place. Really dig Allen’s Explorer!

veeman

I think a few of those guitars are in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland. I recall seeing a few there 15 or so years ago.

Chris1547

One of Allen’s firebirds sold ridiculously cheap at auction not too long ago, his explorer is in oldest daughters possession, another Firebird that Larkin gave to one of Allen’s buddies (the one with the broken neck) was just restored not too long ago by a luthier in Florida and the rest who knows.

Allen bought the explorer in ‘74 at Manny’s in NYC and paid 4K for it!!! The whole bit about him getting from Clapton is complete BS.

Obviously Gary still retains his stuff as did Ed.

In 1978 Allen received a black custom LP directly from Gibson at his Jacobs Ave. Studio and it was said to have been ordered by Steve before the crash. Allen played it a while, then Gary got it and who knows where it is today.

Steve’s black custom LP was retained after the crash by his wife.

Those equipment lists are a goldmine but there are some errors. Allen and Gary did not use Marshal Super Trems but rather standard super leads. The “homemade” tremolo in referenced in Allen’s section was in fact old Gibson tea spoon set up.

Last edited:

SpencerD

I asked Allen why he always had the guitar straps across the front of the Firebirds and Explorers.

He told me there was no reason for that. It's just something he did and never paid any attention to it. - When the band became popular and had photographs in Hit Parader magazine some people noticed he strapped up his guitars differently than other people do.

And he laughed like hell too. Good times. :dude:

Chris1547

The strap was most likely done that on purpose to keep the neck from diving so bad. I do my Firebird the same way and a lot of people do SGs the same way

guitplayer

Ronnie played guitar in the 1% band. I used to own this 64 shearton.