• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 1990 Gibson Les Paul Classic

Redwine

Pretty excited and pleased with this score. I have owned and played numerous Les Paul's from as early as '02 but never owned or played one from this era and it feels unlike any I've played prior besides Custom Shops. I would put it right there next to a 2007 R8 I owned. I read that the early 90's was a good year for Gibson several times. Anyone have any insight on 90's Gibson's in general?

Only picture I have at the moment

JSbM8cv.jpg

Last edited:

uncajoey

First of all, happy NGD!

You’ll read all over here about how early 90’s Classics are highly regarded, as they should be. Classics remained ESSENTIALLY the same instrument from 90 till about 03, when they changed the bridge, tuners, finishes, etc.

I own 91, 92, ‘00, and ‘01 Classics, and I’m here to say they are seriously nice guitars. They are constructed slightly differently than CS instruments, the frets are of a different size, the binding is different, etc, but I like them as much, and just sold a CS 68 Custom to finance my ‘00.

My my belief is that the playability, quality of wood, attention to construction details, and definitely the quality of the tops on 90s LPs is far better than USA guitars of today.

The burst on yours is sweet, BTW!

Redwine

First of all, happy NGD!

You’ll read all over here about how early 90’s Classics are highly regarded, as they should be. Classics remained ESSENTIALLY the same instrument from 90 till about 03, when they changed the bridge, tuners, finishes, etc.

I own 91, 92, ‘00, and ‘01 Classics, and I’m here to say they are seriously nice guitars. They are constructed slightly differently than CS instruments, the frets are of a different size, the binding is different, etc, but I like them as much, and just sold a CS 68 Custom to finance my ‘00.

My my belief is that the playability, quality of wood, attention to construction details, and definitely the quality of the tops on 90s LPs is far better than USA guitars of today.

The burst on yours is sweet, BTW!

Thank you sir! And I’ve been doing my research today and read quite a bit about them and what you said goes right along with everything I read! I’m very, very impressed with this guitar. It’s one of the best playing Les Paul’s I’ve ever put my hands on. I haven’t put it down since I got it today. And thank you! I like how subtle the fade is. It looks red in certain light and looks faded under a darker setting. I think the plain top compliments it well!

Zentar

I have 3 Classics. I love the plain Maple tops. The only thing I changed was I added a lightweight aluminum nickle plated tail piece and reduced the guitars weight by 2 ozs.

CONGRATS!

Redwine

I have 3 Classics. I love the plain Maple tops. The only thing I changed was I added a lightweight aluminum nickle plated tail piece and reduced the guitars weight by 2 ozs.

CONGRATS!

I may do that! It’s all there for sure. This one has Duncan antiquities in it and they sound great. It was upgraded with Kluson Deluxe tuners as well. And thank you sir!! I appreciate it.

dcdefend

I also like the 90s Gibson Les Pauls. I have a 93 Goldtop and a 93 Classic PP. Both have been to Historic Makeovers and have WCR pickups as well as upgraded hardware & electronics. I recently bought a stripped 91 Studio Lite which has been rebuilt with Rewind Pickups and new hardware and electronics. All these Les Pauls play and sound great.

Redwine

I also like the 90s Gibson Les Pauls. I have a 93 Goldtop and a 93 Classic PP. Both have been to Historic Makeovers and have WCR pickups as well as upgraded hardware & electronics. I recently bought a stripped 91 Studio Lite which has been rebuilt with Rewind Pickups and new hardware and electronics. All these Les Pauls play and sound great.

Yessir this one has upgraded 50’s wiring with the caps, Kluson Deluxe tuners, and Duncan Antiquties and it is a very good one. I’m extremely pleased. I’d like to see the 93 Classic Premium Plus if you don’t midn posting it!! I love the tops on those

dcdefend

Here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 47

El Gringo

I love the 90's classics as I have a 94 LPCPP and it's a nice guitar and in the coming months I will be getting new ThroBak pickups and a new wiring harness , so that will be fun . Very well made guitars with good tone .

uncajoey

I love the 90's classics as I have a 94 LPCPP and it's a nice guitar and in the coming months I will be getting new ThroBak pickups and a new wiring harness , so that will be fun . Very well made guitars with good tone .

No pics? For shame.

cincyguitar

Congrats on the cool LP dude....I was going to buy A LP Classic...but it had the greenish looking neck inlays and it was kind of a clown-burst...just couldn't dig that....:dang

Redwine

Congrats on the cool LP dude....I was going to buy A LP Classic...but it had the greenish looking neck inlays and it was kind of a clown-burst...just couldn't dig that....:dang

Yessir I had one like that and ended up sending it back because of a twisted neck. The construction and feel of this one felt like night and day compared to the 2004 that I had for a spell.

Classic

I have a ‘99 Classic that just rocks. The wiring has been swapped out and runs 50’s style with WCR American Steele pickups. It gets gigged weekends.

Redwine

Thank you all!

It's pretty sweet. I just sent it off with my pal for a new nut and some TLC. Ready to have it back for sure.

Last edited:

Redwine

I have a ‘99 Classic that just rocks. The wiring has been swapped out and runs 50’s style with WCR American Steele pickups. It gets gigged weekends.

Nice! This one has the 50's wiring as well and Duncan Antiquities in them. The gentleman I got it from had upgraded it, soon to retire and was the original owner and he took great care of it, so I was very fortunate

bern1

Nice guitar, I love those early 90’s Classics. A lot of guitar with cool features! Always wanted one, maybe will happen!