The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Need es335 info

Need es335 info

I am looking at picking up an ES335 soon. I have seen that the neck size varies from model to model.

I am not looking for a vintage guitar so in the realm of a CS or VOS type idea, Which models have the non baseball necks?

I don't have to have a tiny neck but, I would like to have one thats close to the Taper and shape on the 2014 era Firebird neck. Kinda flat and slim.

Thanks for suggestions.
    1958 VOS Tabby Flame Top Les Paul w/ SD Antiquities || 1981 Custom Stratocaster w/ Texas Specials || 2014 Gibson Firebird w/D'Urbao PUs
    Steve Vai Legacy 1 Head || Mesa 2x12 Cab w/wicker grill || Very Modded Blues Jr || Fender Bassbreaker 45 || Boogie Mk III
    TC electronic / Fulltone / Xotic Pedals

Re: Need es335 info

The current standard, or core line, models have very medium sized necks.

60's reissues have varying versions of a slimmer neck.

Dot Reissues, which were the standard core line model for many years, mostly have a slim 60's neck unless otherwise noted. Larger "Fat Necks" are rare. The Dot Reissues tend to be more slim than the current standard core line model.

I have a '59 Reissue and a Dot Reissue. Both have nice wide 1-11/16ths nut widths. But the neck depths are polar opposites. I like both and appreciate their differences.

So, unless you are looking at a '58 or '59 Reissue, or one designated "Fat Neck" they will most likely be medium or slim.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
    The current standard, or core line, models have very medium sized necks.

60's reissues have varying versions of a slimmer neck.

Dot Reissues, which were the standard core line model for many years, mostly have a slim 60's neck unless otherwise noted. Larger "Fat Necks" are rare. The Dot Reissues tend to be more slim than the current standard core line model.

I have a '59 Reissue and a Dot Reissue. Both have nice wide 1-11/16ths nut widths. But the neck depths are polar opposites. I like both and appreciate their differences.

So, unless you are looking at a '58 or '59 Reissue, or one designated "Fat Neck" they will most likely be medium or slim.
    Thank you for the info!
    1958 VOS Tabby Flame Top Les Paul w/ SD Antiquities || 1981 Custom Stratocaster w/ Texas Specials || 2014 Gibson Firebird w/D'Urbao PUs
    Steve Vai Legacy 1 Head || Mesa 2x12 Cab w/wicker grill || Very Modded Blues Jr || Fender Bassbreaker 45 || Boogie Mk III
    TC electronic / Fulltone / Xotic Pedals

I would suggest you take a look At the Wild Wood selection of 335's . They list neck sizes, which should be helpful to you .

The '61 Dot , 335 RI's normally have a flatter back shape to the neck(some '62's might get it also) . Similar to the originals . A '63 block RI , will have a more rounded (and somewhat lager depth) Neck shape . If you know what type and depth size neck you prefer , that ,can be very helpful .
    From what I've seen , '61's average about .790-.840 at the 1st ... '63's a bit deeper ,like .810-,850 at the 1st. All are ~

Mostly ,the Rounded shape neck are what these get(335's) as they are the preference of the majority of buyers/payers . Depth's and shape can be listed or should be asked about before purchasing . When asking for an in-hand eval , I always ask about the guitar's shoulders. Those ,imo have a huge effect on how the neck feels in-hand and should (for me, always) be considered .

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

My Rich Robinson neck is a very comfortable profile ,as my 64 345 I think any of the 60's RI's would work for you !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

He thinks the mirror is a photo of a clown ?

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.