• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2013 & 2014 Reissue Differences

IanHenry

Hi,
I've recently purchased a "new old stock" 58reissue. The dealer advertised it as a 2013 model but when I inspected it theguitar has a 2014 anniversary plaque on the switch cover. I contacted Gibsonand they informed me that it wasprobably a 2014 model but made in 2013.

My question is, what if any are the differencesbetween a 2013 and 14 model?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Ian

renderit

Hyde glue used for neck and fingerboards on 2013.

2014 the neck and fingerboard AND top as I recall?

Makes no nevermind. 13 and on were MOSTLY fantastic beasts with fewer duds than previous years.

Try it if you can, but odds are it is a killer machine and if not can probably be made into one with a few adjustments.

And when Gibson makes a 'late model year guitar' with the next years date it usually had the features of the later year anyways.

IanHenry

Many thanks for your reply Renderit, very much appreciated and yes it is a killer, but it's made all my other Les Paul's redundant:)

Regards,
Ian

Tim Plains

2013s - hot HIDE on neck joint only.
2014s - hot HIDE on neck joing and fingerboard.
True Historics - hot HIDE on neck, fretboard, and top.

Edit: stupid auto correct.

Last edited:

CherryVelour

I bought a 2014 spec made in 2016 in a colour I'd never heard of... "Holland Burst", basically same dark burst as the CC Dutchburst, but without the relicing.
So, yeah.. Gibson Custom shop is weird!

renderit

Hyde glue.

It brings out happy people or trolls.

I standd buy mi splelllings.

JPP-1

Hyde? Dr Jekyll?

Hide! As in, the skin of an animal!

Genuine Hyde glue from the labs of the eccentric Dr. Jekyll. That’s what provides vintage Lester’s with such MONSTEROUSLY good tone.

While Les Paul himself was afraid to fully unleash Mr Hyde, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Slash, and others had no such reservations.

Wambemando

I bought a 2014 spec made in 2016 in a colour I'd never heard of... "Holland Burst", basically same dark burst as the CC Dutchburst, but without the relicing.
So, yeah.. Gibson Custom shop is weird!
You may have a "repurposed" Collector's Choice, like my '17 R8/CC29v. This would be the 5th or 6th confirmed repurposing of a CC. Interesting!

KS 5150

I have a 2013 R9 & it's a beast! You can't go wrong with '13 or later....unless it's a 2015 & has a CS serial #. Those ones are the devil's dandruff :salude

CherryVelour

You may have a "repurposed" Collector's Choice, like my '17 R8/CC29v. This would be the 5th or 6th confirmed repurposing of a CC. Interesting!
Hmmm, that is interesting indeed.. Would make mine a '16 R9/CC18??.. Didn't know this was a thing! Could you point me in the direction of other repurposed CCs on this forum? Thanks for the info.

Wambemando

Hmmm, that is interesting indeed.. Would make mine a '16 R9/CC18??.. Didn't know this was a thing! Could you point me in the direction of other repurposed CCs on this forum? Thanks for the info.
Well, it is "a thing", even if Gibson won't admit it.
There are threads on here about it (and at the other forum). There are clues that you can look for. On mine, you can see where they removed the serial/model stamp from the control cavity, and the original stamps are still visible on the back of the headstock (they refinished and restamped that area).
Some of the repurposed CCs have been over-aged to differentiate them from the originals.
With this CC29 VOS, it appears that the only thing that was changed were the pickups (which some argue weren't changed). I was quite happy to pay less than half price for a new CC!

CherryVelour

Well, it is "a thing", even if Gibson won't admit it.
There are threads on here about it (and at the other forum). There are clues that you can look for. On mine, you can see where they removed the serial/model stamp from the control cavity, and the original stamps are still visible on the back of the headstock (they refinished and restamped that area).
Some of the repurposed CCs have been over-aged to differentiate them from the originals.
With this CC29 VOS, it appears that the only thing that was changed were the pickups (which some argue weren't changed). I was quite happy to pay less than half price for a new CC!

Yeah, I got mine for a really sweet deal!.. under £3k, which was way less than 2014 spec R9s at the time. Will take a closer look at mine and se if there are any other clues.

I've also got a 2015 ES-390 in Dark Burst which wasn't a thing in 2015 as they were only making 60s Cherry finishes with bit of flame. So fully accept that Gibson does this sort of thing from time to time.

latestarter

Genuine Hyde glue from the labs of the eccentric Dr. Jekyll. That’s what provides vintage Lester’s with such MONSTEROUSLY good tone.

While Les Paul himself was afraid to fully unleash Mr Hyde, Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Slash, and others had no such reservations.

:hee:salude