• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pick-up Height for Gibson Les Paul 1959 Resissue

jpopiele

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to properly set-up the pick-up height for a 2017 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Reissue ? and what the string height should be ?

I have read that it should be 3/32" at the Neck and 1/16" at the bridge but it seems to low and my neck pick-up sits below my pickup guard. I'm not sure if i am doing it correctly ?

Monroe

Most published specs for setting pickup height call for fretting the string(s) at the top fret while taking the measurement.
Using a spacer of the desired measurement is WAY easier that trying to read tiny fractions on a ruler.
A hex key works great.
That said, that's not how most of us here would adjust pickup height.
You're not shooting for a number, you're shooting for a particular (and very personal) tone.
Learn to hear what height changes do to your [clean] sound, and adjust accordingly.

AJCR

The starting numbers I feel do more harm than good......and almost are contrary to what you really should be thinking. If you have a measurement then somewhere in people's thinking they assume its been reached through some sort of testing procedure, and represents an 'ideal'.......whereas more likely all thats been done is a figure has been drawn out of a hat, or what looks ok with reference to the pickup sitting in the ring.

Don

There's a detailed thread on pickup height setting on this forum. It might even be a sticky somewhere. I recommend that you search for it.

Texan

Go by feel with your ears....if that makes any sense. By that I mean start off with the suggested height, then adjust till your ears say "that's it!". Your ears will tell you, not your eyes.