• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Firebird Pickup Rings- Most accurate Ones?

TM1

So I got a set of FB rings for my FB VII from Mojotone. Nice rings, nickel plated, etc... they are smaller than the ones on my FB... wtf?
Does anyone know who offers the most accurate nickel rings? I also noticed that the pickup hole area is bigger. The ugly chrome rings that came stock on the guitar fit my early 60’s mini’s perfect, these “aftermarket” ones don’t!
suggestions welcomed!
Thanks folks!,

latestarter

Gibson hasn't made your life easy. They've changed the spec on the rings a few times.

If you have a pair that fit well but are chrome you could always drop them off to a metal plating firm and ask them to strip the chrome. Usually there's a nickel base. If not, they can do that also.

I have some nickel vintage spec rings I can sell you, but they won't fit the outer screw holes.

gretsch8217

So I got a set of FB rings for my FB VII from Mojotone. Nice rings, nickel plated, etc... they are smaller than the ones on my FB... wtf?
Does anyone know who offers the most accurate nickel rings? I also noticed that the pickup hole area is bigger. The ugly chrome rings that came stock on the guitar fit my early 60’s mini’s perfect, these “aftermarket” ones don’t!
suggestions welcomed!
Thanks folks!,
I could not find nickel rings for my '96 Firebird that would fit it.

However, Stew Mac sells gold rings that fit my 'bird perfectly. The gold plating is extremely thin and can be easily removed with metal polish. The best part is, the nickel underneath the gold is not plated. So, if you're going for the distressed look, you're halfway there!

I highly recommend taking extremely accurate measurements of your rings, especially the distances between the mounting screw holes. This is where most of the nickel plated aftermarket rings fall short. A set of calipers comes in handy.