• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which 2019 Les Paul classic?

Prince Vegeta

I’m looking to purchase a 2019 classic. The stock model comes with Burstbucker ‘61t/‘61r pickups. Sweetwater has an exclusive that comes loaded with ‘57 classic/classic plus pickups. Which one would be better for classic rock and heavier ‘90s rock?

I do not play in any bands or anything. I’m just a living room guitarist. I used to have a les Paul a few years back with Burstbuckers in it. I think they were 2 and 3s.

Thank you for the feedback

El Gringo

For what it's worth , I like the 57 Classic pickups versus the burstbuckers . If you have a chance and can try out both guitars -do that and see which one talks to you more !

Axegrinder

I'm generally not a Burstbucker fan, but the 61t/r variants are some VERY nice pickups. I have a 2019 Classic with them and they sound incredible! I've got 57's in a few other guitars and they sound awesome too (especially in an SG), but the 61's seem to really work well with the LP Classic. Actually, I have a 2019 LP Classic Lite on the way, and it comes with the 57's. I'll have to try them side-by-side once it gets here!

LPR6

If the 61’s are brighter than the 57’s I would go with them. I have 59 Tribute pups in a few of my guitars and they sound great, brighter, with more chime, more like vintage. 57’s in a LP tend to sound darker and I have trouble getting a clearer sound from the neck pup. I was tempted to buy one of the new ones with the 61’s just to see how they were. You can always buy one and return it if you don’t like it.

thunderkyss

I wouldn't consider the pickups at this point. Which guitar speaks to me. Feel, that note... which gets my heart pumping.

Then if I don't like the pickups, switch.

valvestate

I just demoed a 2017 Classic T with a stock '57 Classic & '57 Classic and it sounds huge, much fuller than the 2019 Les Paul Classic that's fitted with Burstbucker ‘61t/‘61r PUPs which a bit sounds milder and lacks balls :).

I'm torn as well which is better but the 2019's plus for me are the switching options i.e. push -pull knobs for additional sound options.