• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Price Check On 1967 Gibson 335

BURSTGANG

I'm thinking hard about buying this and I REALLY shouldn't, I certainly don't need another guitar but...................a music store has it on consignment. It does sound and play great and has the OHSC

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

Nice guitar I think a little high with a crack & narrow nut , I just never went well with the narrow nut some love these .

brandtkronholm

For the experts: could the crack in the headstock be a result of installing the Schaller tuners? It doesn’t have the typical crack from the guitar being dropped.

Just wondering.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
That is a headstock break. I have not bought one of these recently but I have bought 3, without a headstock break, but all without pickups, within the last 10 years and never paid more than $2600. They may have shot up in value though. I would search reverb to see what they actually sold for in the last 12 months. Nice looking guitar but $4k seems steep for a headstock break '67 ES-335. I personally love these narrow nut guitars.

brandtkronholm

That is a headstock break...

Indeed, but from an accident or from Schallers?

I can't find the "exit" of the crack. It appears to vanish under the "A" tuning gear and not extend into the wing of the headstock.

BURSTGANG

For the experts: could the crack in the headstock be a result of installing the Schaller tuners? It doesn’t have the typical crack from the guitar being dropped.

Just wondering.
I understand the damage to the headstock actually took place when the Klusons were still on the guitar......................... so the Schallers are out of that equation. Also by it not having a break I meant that the headstock was not broken off the guitar and repaired with splines or something like that, it does have a crack or break in the wood no doubt.

garywright

no way that is a 4k guitar ..$2,500 would be a more fair asking price ...fwiw, what's up with the tuners ? ..some arent even taught with the back of the headstock ...could this be do to protruding dowels preventing a tight fit ? ( myself, i'd steer clear, there's a lot of 335s out there )

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
It looks like there might be a crack on the back of the neck that split through to the truss rod route. Hard to say from the photo but I would check that out.

latestarter

For reference, I paid $3200 USD for this '66/'67 a few months back.

Very clean case, Pat App Grovers, stop tailed, no breaks or weirdness. Plays very well, sounds great. I widened the string spread to almost my R9 size with an approach with frets and nut....described in another post.

Photo is a bit wonky around the edges thanks to iPhone portrait settings.

nubtsHF.jpg

BURSTGANG

It looks like there might be a crack on the back of the neck that split through to the truss rod route. Hard to say from the photo but I would check that out.
I have looked into the truss rod issue ....................least from what I can see by removing the cover there is no evidence of any damage from that point of view................as to if there is some from the back of the neck one can only speculate unless a X-ray was taken. $2,500.00?..................I'm afraid he would never sell it for that price. I DO appreciate all the advice, comments, and opinions,Thank You!

garywright

when i enlarge the rear headstock pic the crack appears to travel in a V and go towards the point of the headstock thats below the high E where it looks like an impact could have happened..may be an illiusion though

brandtkronholm

when i enlarge the rear headstock pic the crack appears to travel in a V and go towards the point of the headstock thats below the high E where it looks like an impact could have happened..may be an illiusion though

Ah, I see it. It may be an illusion. I’m now wondering about truss rod issues.

An in-hand inspection is needed for this one. Just under $4K is too much, I’m not sure if it’s worth purchasing at any price because it appears to have been abused.

BURSTGANG

For reference, I paid $3200 USD for this '66/'67 a few months back.

Very clean case, Pat App Grovers, stop tailed, no breaks or weirdness. Plays very well, sounds great. I widened the string spread to almost my R9 size with an approach with frets and nut....described in another post.

Photo is a bit wonky around the edges thanks to iPhone portrait settings.

nubtsHF.jpg
That IS a really nice looking guitar.:)

BURSTGANG

Ah, I see it. It may be an illusion. I’m now wondering about truss rod issues.

An in-hand inspection is needed for this one. Just under $4K is too much, I’m not sure if it’s worth purchasing at any price because it appears to have been abused.
No truss rod issues exist.............it adjusts the neck just fine so no worries there.................I realise some are drawing conclusions here much like I might be doing IF I had not played and checked out the guitar in person. The guitar HAS been played extensively but never abused or neglectfully used,it obviously had a accident which resulted in the headstock damage. It's just a old Gibby that has been played a lot..............there is really no other issue with the guitar except that break/crack on the back of the headstock. Its set up great plays really nice and the PUPs are sweet sounding and electronics are clean,really there are no other problems that I can see with the guitar. I DO agree the asking price is not what I would want to pay but then again it's his guitar he can ask what he thinks it is worth,I have to decide if it is worth that to me. And your first statement was spot on, with anything like this,damage of any kind a first hand inspection IS needed.

marshall1987

The headstock and much of the neck looks to be a mess on that guitar. I wouldn't want that guitar in my collection. There are too many other nice ES-335s out there without the stigma of a neck break, mysterious finish cracks, and swapped tuners.

I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for that guitar, and that's with a 48 hour approval period.

BURSTGANG

The headstock and much of the neck looks to be a mess on that guitar. I wouldn't want that guitar in my collection. There are too many other nice ES-335s out there without the stigma of a neck break, mysterious finish cracks, and swapped tuners.

I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for that guitar, and that's with a 48 hour approval period.
I have seen much worse for sure............ really not that bad in person. The finish is worn off on areas on the neck,buckle wear on the back, all pretty typical on a old road dog like this one.............its played a ton of gigs through the decades it has been in use.I don't believe there are any issues except for that crack/break and that has been there for years and years all the while being actively played. That's what it is,a PLAYERS guitar The real problem for me and for anyone I guess is the price point at which it is currently at.............. just have to wait and see what happens regarding that.

Last edited:

marshall1987

I have seen much worse for sure............ really not that bad in person. The finish is worn off on areas on the neck,buckle wear on the back, all pretty typical on a old road dog like this one.............its played a ton of gigs through the decades it has been in use.I don't believe there are any issues except for that crack/break and that has been there for years and years all the while being actively played. That's what it is,a PLAYERS guitar The real problem for me and for anyone I guess is the price point at which it is currently at.............. just have to wait and see what happens regarding that.

Sounds like you want to buy this guitar. Proceed with caution and take the following deductions from the asking price:

(1) Bigsby tailpiece, -$500.00;
(2) 1 9/16" nut, -$1,000;
(3) headstock break, 50% off regular price;
(4) heavy play wear, chips, dings, extra screw holes, finish/headstock condition, -$500.00

I'd offer maybe $1500 for the guitar, not a penny more. Don't be afraid to walk away.

latestarter

Sounds like you want to buy this guitar. Proceed with caution and take the following deductions from the asking price:

(4) heavy play wear, chips, dings, extra screw holes, finish/headstock condition, -$500.00

I'd offer maybe $1500 for the guitar, not a penny more. Don't be afraid to walk away.

Out of interest, form what starting point are you calculating this back from? E.g. -$1000 for 1 9/16ths nut. Is that from say a '64 335 with a wider nut? If the narrower nut is a known, then one cannot double count the discount can they?

I've had plenty of 335's - this one is in that "at the right price only" space....so the price will need reflect the break....thats all in my opnion.

BURSTGANG

Appreciate your input,the break/crack,well I wish it was not there but it is and I have no problems with it............like fear about it coming undone and getting worse than it is but I certainly realise it devalues the guitar by a bunch. The nut, I have no problem with that string spacing............ but I must say after owning 150+ guitars I have never had a 335 with a Bigby, not my choice but again I still like the rest of the guitar for what it is and how it sounds and plays so it's not a hate thing that it is on there,I just won't use it much. I'm no fool and I realise at some point I will want to sell this instrument and not want to take a bath on it when that time comes so.................like you mention I will have no problem walking away from the guitar if a reasonable price............. [Reasonable price to me] that is based on those things you mention and a few others becomes unavailable.

Last edited: