The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Price Check On 1967 Gibson 335

I'm thinking hard about buying this and I REALLY shouldn't, I certainly don't need another guitar but...................a music store has it on consignment. It does sound and play great and has the OHSC
    Last edited by BURSTGANG; 11-28-18 at 05:17 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Re: Price Check On 1967 Gibson 335

Nice guitar I think a little high with a crack & narrow nut , I just never went well with the narrow nut some love these .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars

For the experts: could the crack in the headstock be a result of installing the Schaller tuners? It doesn’t have the typical crack from the guitar being dropped.

Just wondering.

That is a headstock break. I have not bought one of these recently but I have bought 3, without a headstock break, but all without pickups, within the last 10 years and never paid more than $2600. They may have shot up in value though. I would search reverb to see what they actually sold for in the last 12 months. Nice looking guitar but $4k seems steep for a headstock break '67 ES-335. I personally love these narrow nut guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    That is a headstock break...
    Indeed, but from an accident or from Schallers?

I can't find the "exit" of the crack. It appears to vanish under the "A" tuning gear and not extend into the wing of the headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    For the experts: could the crack in the headstock be a result of installing the Schaller tuners? It doesn’t have the typical crack from the guitar being dropped.

Just wondering.
    I understand the damage to the headstock actually took place when the Klusons were still on the guitar......................... so the Schallers are out of that equation. Also by it not having a break I meant that the headstock was not broken off the guitar and repaired with splines or something like that, it does have a crack or break in the wood no doubt.

no way that is a 4k guitar ..$2,500 would be a more fair asking price ...fwiw, what's up with the tuners ? ..some arent even taught with the back of the headstock ...could this be do to protruding dowels preventing a tight fit ? ( myself, i'd steer clear, there's a lot of 335s out there )

It looks like there might be a crack on the back of the neck that split through to the truss rod route. Hard to say from the photo but I would check that out.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

For reference, I paid $3200 USD for this '66/'67 a few months back.

Very clean case, Pat App Grovers, stop tailed, no breaks or weirdness. Plays very well, sounds great. I widened the string spread to almost my R9 size with an approach with frets and nut....described in another post.

Photo is a bit wonky around the edges thanks to iPhone portrait settings.

Otherwise known as Grant.

Here's the thread here. It didn't catch on for some reason...

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...r-a-narrow-nut

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    It looks like there might be a crack on the back of the neck that split through to the truss rod route. Hard to say from the photo but I would check that out.
    I have looked into the truss rod issue ....................least from what I can see by removing the cover there is no evidence of any damage from that point of view................as to if there is some from the back of the neck one can only speculate unless a X-ray was taken. $2,500.00?..................I'm afraid he would never sell it for that price. I DO appreciate all the advice, comments, and opinions,Thank You!

when i enlarge the rear headstock pic the crack appears to travel in a V and go towards the point of the headstock thats below the high E where it looks like an impact could have happened..may be an illiusion though

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    when i enlarge the rear headstock pic the crack appears to travel in a V and go towards the point of the headstock thats below the high E where it looks like an impact could have happened..may be an illiusion though
    Ah, I see it. It may be an illusion. I’m now wondering about truss rod issues.

An in-hand inspection is needed for this one. Just under $4K is too much, I’m not sure if it’s worth purchasing at any price because it appears to have been abused.

Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    For reference, I paid $3200 USD for this '66/'67 a few months back.

Very clean case, Pat App Grovers, stop tailed, no breaks or weirdness. Plays very well, sounds great. I widened the string spread to almost my R9 size with an approach with frets and nut....described in another post.

Photo is a bit wonky around the edges thanks to iPhone portrait settings.

That IS a really nice looking guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Ah, I see it. It may be an illusion. I’m now wondering about truss rod issues.

An in-hand inspection is needed for this one. Just under $4K is too much, I’m not sure if it’s worth purchasing at any price because it appears to have been abused.
    No truss rod issues exist.............it adjusts the neck just fine so no worries there.................I realise some are drawing conclusions here much like I might be doing IF I had not played and checked out the guitar in person. The guitar HAS been played extensively but never abused or neglectfully used,it obviously had a accident which resulted in the headstock damage. It's just a old Gibby that has been played a lot..............there is really no other issue with the guitar except that break/crack on the back of the headstock. Its set up great plays really nice and the PUPs are sweet sounding and electronics are clean,really there are no other problems that I can see with the guitar. I DO agree the asking price is not what I would want to pay but then again it's his guitar he can ask what he thinks it is worth,I have to decide if it is worth that to me. And your first statement was spot on, with anything like this,damage of any kind a first hand inspection IS needed.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

The headstock and much of the neck looks to be a mess on that guitar. I wouldn't want that guitar in my collection. There are too many other nice ES-335s out there without the stigma of a neck break, mysterious finish cracks, and swapped tuners.

I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for that guitar, and that's with a 48 hour approval period.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    The headstock and much of the neck looks to be a mess on that guitar. I wouldn't want that guitar in my collection. There are too many other nice ES-335s out there without the stigma of a neck break, mysterious finish cracks, and swapped tuners.

I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for that guitar, and that's with a 48 hour approval period.
    I have seen much worse for sure............ really not that bad in person. The finish is worn off on areas on the neck,buckle wear on the back, all pretty typical on a old road dog like this one.............its played a ton of gigs through the decades it has been in use.I don't believe there are any issues except for that crack/break and that has been there for years and years all the while being actively played. That's what it is,a PLAYERS guitar The real problem for me and for anyone I guess is the price point at which it is currently at.............. just have to wait and see what happens regarding that.
    Last edited by BURSTGANG; 11-25-18 at 10:07 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Quote Originally Posted by BURSTGANG View Post
    I have seen much worse for sure............ really not that bad in person. The finish is worn off on areas on the neck,buckle wear on the back, all pretty typical on a old road dog like this one.............its played a ton of gigs through the decades it has been in use.I don't believe there are any issues except for that crack/break and that has been there for years and years all the while being actively played. That's what it is,a PLAYERS guitar The real problem for me and for anyone I guess is the price point at which it is currently at.............. just have to wait and see what happens regarding that.
    Sounds like you want to buy this guitar. Proceed with caution and take the following deductions from the asking price:

(1) Bigsby tailpiece, -$500.00;
    (2) 1 9/16" nut, -$1,000;
    (3) headstock break, 50% off regular price;
    (4) heavy play wear, chips, dings, extra screw holes, finish/headstock condition, -$500.00

I'd offer maybe $1500 for the guitar, not a penny more. Don't be afraid to walk away.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Sounds like you want to buy this guitar. Proceed with caution and take the following deductions from the asking price:

(4) heavy play wear, chips, dings, extra screw holes, finish/headstock condition, -$500.00

I'd offer maybe $1500 for the guitar, not a penny more. Don't be afraid to walk away.
    Out of interest, form what starting point are you calculating this back from? E.g. -$1000 for 1 9/16ths nut. Is that from say a '64 335 with a wider nut? If the narrower nut is a known, then one cannot double count the discount can they?

I've had plenty of 335's - this one is in that "at the right price only" space....so the price will need reflect the break....thats all in my opnion.

Appreciate your input,the break/crack,well I wish it was not there but it is and I have no problems with it............like fear about it coming undone and getting worse than it is but I certainly realise it devalues the guitar by a bunch. The nut, I have no problem with that string spacing............ but I must say after owning 150+ guitars I have never had a 335 with a Bigby, not my choice but again I still like the rest of the guitar for what it is and how it sounds and plays so it's not a hate thing that it is on there,I just won't use it much. I'm no fool and I realise at some point I will want to sell this instrument and not want to take a bath on it when that time comes so.................like you mention I will have no problem walking away from the guitar if a reasonable price............. [Reasonable price to me] that is based on those things you mention and a few others becomes unavailable.
    Last edited by BURSTGANG; 11-26-18 at 09:37 PM.

I am not knowledgable enough to give you an accurate assessment on price. From what I've seen nice late 1960s ES335 are listed on reverb for $5k+. Guitars are unique. Maybe next week you find one pristine for 5.5k but it has no magic. Sure the price might be right but where's the value in that. If this particular guitar calls to you and you have the means, try to work out a deal.

If the guitar is worth 2k-2500 and you end up getting it for $2800 and it sings in your hands, I doubt you'll feel short changed.

Les Paul Forum Member

I would say $2 grand as there are too many issues for a higher value IMHO . If the seller balks , walk away and consider your self lucky because of the "issues"

You don't say if the stabilized crack has ever been glued. That is an easy peasy job for a decent luthier with a hypo and the right glue. A great luthier could go even further with very little further disturbing of the original finish and make it nearly invisible.

Other than that, I would take into great account the advice given here in regards to true value. It doesn't take much looking to find better examples in the $5K price range.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
    You don't say if the stabilized crack has ever been glued. That is an easy peasy job for a decent luthier with a hypo and the right glue. A great luthier could go even further with very little further disturbing of the original finish and make it nearly invisible.

Other than that, I would take into great account the advice given here in regards to true value. It doesn't take much looking to find better examples in the $5K price range.
    Hey sorry about that regarding the repair to the break on the headstock, it was professionally glued by a fine luthier years ago [I mean the 1970s] so it has presented no problems all this time and it has been actively gigged. It could have been HIDDEN better I suppose so that it would not be as noticeable but then if you do that some people think OK I know it has been damaged I wonder how bad it really was because I can't clearly see all of the damage that might be there.I appreciate all your comments and help regarding the guitar. I'm going to pass on it as the seller and I just could not come together on a price we could both be satisfied with,it IS a cool guitar I hope it finds a good home.
    Last edited by BURSTGANG; 11-28-18 at 05:14 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BURSTGANG View Post
    Hey sorry about that regarding the repair to the break on the headstock, it was professionally glued by a fine luthier years ago [I mean the 1970s] so it has presented no problems all this time and it has been actively gigged. It could have been HIDDEN better I suppose so that is would not be as noticeable but then if you do that some people think OK I know it has been damaged I wonder how bad it really was because I can't clearly see all of the damage that might be there.I appreciate all your comments and help regarding the guitar. I'm going to pass on it as the seller and I just could not come together on a price we could both be satisfied with,it IS a cool guitar I hope it finds a good home.
    I think you made a very wise choice .

+1 on your decision to pass. IMHO overpriced because of the issues. Also, not trying to nit pick, but technically the stop tail is too low in relation to its position on the guitar face, compared to the usual factory location. There is a range of slight variations from the factory, but this one falls outside that range. Charlie Gelber of OK Guitars has an excellent post in his website archives regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by reddeluxe View Post
    +1 on your decision to pass. IMHO overpriced because of the issues. Also, not trying to nit pick, but technically the stop tail is too low in relation to its position on the guitar face, compared to the usual factory location. There is a range of slight variations from the factory, but this one falls outside that range. Charlie Gelber of OK Guitars has an excellent post in his website archives regarding this.
    Different guitars - mine is the one with the lower stop tail. The OP guitar has a headstock repair at the centre of the conversation. I purchased mine with the discount in place for the stop tail. I'm loving where it is to be honest - I get a clean break over the ABR with the stop tail right down. Sounds fantastic.