• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Price Check On 1967 Gibson 335

JPP-1

I am not knowledgable enough to give you an accurate assessment on price. From what I've seen nice late 1960s ES335 are listed on reverb for $5k+. Guitars are unique. Maybe next week you find one pristine for 5.5k but it has no magic. Sure the price might be right but where's the value in that. If this particular guitar calls to you and you have the means, try to work out a deal.

If the guitar is worth 2k-2500 and you end up getting it for $2800 and it sings in your hands, I doubt you'll feel short changed.

El Gringo

I would say $2 grand as there are too many issues for a higher value IMHO . If the seller balks , walk away and consider your self lucky because of the "issues"

mdubya

You don't say if the stabilized crack has ever been glued. That is an easy peasy job for a decent luthier with a hypo and the right glue. A great luthier could go even further with very little further disturbing of the original finish and make it nearly invisible.

Other than that, I would take into great account the advice given here in regards to true value. It doesn't take much looking to find better examples in the $5K price range.

BURSTGANG

You don't say if the stabilized crack has ever been glued. That is an easy peasy job for a decent luthier with a hypo and the right glue. A great luthier could go even further with very little further disturbing of the original finish and make it nearly invisible.

Other than that, I would take into great account the advice given here in regards to true value. It doesn't take much looking to find better examples in the $5K price range.
Hey sorry about that regarding the repair to the break on the headstock, it was professionally glued by a fine luthier years ago [I mean the 1970s] so it has presented no problems all this time and it has been actively gigged. It could have been HIDDEN better I suppose so that it would not be as noticeable but then if you do that some people think OK I know it has been damaged I wonder how bad it really was because I can't clearly see all of the damage that might be there.I appreciate all your comments and help regarding the guitar. I'm going to pass on it as the seller and I just could not come together on a price we could both be satisfied with,it IS a cool guitar I hope it finds a good home.:hank

Last edited:

El Gringo

Hey sorry about that regarding the repair to the break on the headstock, it was professionally glued by a fine luthier years ago [I mean the 1970s] so it has presented no problems all this time and it has been actively gigged. It could have been HIDDEN better I suppose so that is would not be as noticeable but then if you do that some people think OK I know it has been damaged I wonder how bad it really was because I can't clearly see all of the damage that might be there.I appreciate all your comments and help regarding the guitar. I'm going to pass on it as the seller and I just could not come together on a price we could both be satisfied with,it IS a cool guitar I hope it finds a good home.:hank
I think you made a very wise choice .

reddeluxe

+1 on your decision to pass. IMHO overpriced because of the issues. Also, not trying to nit pick, but technically the stop tail is too low in relation to its position on the guitar face, compared to the usual factory location. There is a range of slight variations from the factory, but this one falls outside that range. Charlie Gelber of OK Guitars has an excellent post in his website archives regarding this.

latestarter

+1 on your decision to pass. IMHO overpriced because of the issues. Also, not trying to nit pick, but technically the stop tail is too low in relation to its position on the guitar face, compared to the usual factory location. There is a range of slight variations from the factory, but this one falls outside that range. Charlie Gelber of OK Guitars has an excellent post in his website archives regarding this.

Different guitars - mine is the one with the lower stop tail. The OP guitar has a headstock repair at the centre of the conversation. I purchased mine with the discount in place for the stop tail. I'm loving where it is to be honest - I get a clean break over the ABR with the stop tail right down. Sounds fantastic.