• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PAF Pickup Secrets: Steel Chemistry - PAF Pole Screw Shootout!

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
Another installment in the ThroBak P.A.F. pickup secrets series. This one is about how Steel chemistry variation in pole screws impacts the tone of the pickup. I hope you enjoy it.

demundo

That was great! thanks for sharing that. must have been a pain in the ass to change those screws and do it right.

mdubya

I enjoyed that one a lot.

I thought the high carbon screws sounded fine; definitely more treble edge and more output.

I personally prefer the softer treble and output of the low carbon screws, but I could see others preferring the tone of the high carbons.

As a matter of fact, I think most would prefer the high carbon screws if you sold them as the vintage correct option. :hee

I have some pretty decent sounding pickups that might benefit from those low carbon screws. :hmm

el84ster

I love these videos! These are the kinds of experiments I do on my own, but this saves me time!

Definitely a difference. High carbon sounds like a tele, what I would consider a little outside the classic LP sound. Low carbon was less steely, more the sound/reason I like LPs. Very interesting.

It seems to me many (most?) modern metal parts sound harsher than the older parts. Is it all due to carbon content or other things as well? I work on audio electronics and with the exception of people who really go after a musical sound, it seems like the mass produced electronic components today are more harsh/brittle as well. Just listen to a vintage Clyde Vox wah next to a modern vox wah (same exact circuit specs) to see what I mean.

While I'm posting, just want to say that Throbaks are THE stuff. Better than a lot of vintage pickups. A real modern classic.

Keep cranking these pickups out Jon! And thanks for another killer informative video!

Jeff West

Thanks for the video and dedication, Jon.

Were, say, early T-tops still tending to be lower carbon steel parts (than 1022), or did Gibson change further in the '60s, '70s, '80s, ot later? Just curious-thanks.

Jeff

Dave P

I'm guessing that's one reason my early pickup winding experiments from 13-14 years ago were more edgy/bright sounding.

fender69

Were the pole pieces on 50's P 90's nickel or chrome plated? Would the same things that apply to PAF pole screws apply to them?

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
50’s P90’S and PAF pickups have Nickel plated pole screws.

fender69

50’s P90’S and PAF pickups have Nickel plated pole screws.

The reason I ask is that I own a 68 gold top and I believe those pole pieces are chrome. Wondering if it would make a difference if I could find some nickel plated ones to swap out with.

Wallace

Another excellent video.
Thank you.

For my old ears I would describe the higher carbon content as having more focus and separation.
But totally agree both sound great and I could find a use for either.

Cheers,
Wallace.

Dr. Green

I did it - i changed the pole screws for 1010 steel and the treble was less harsh - it works !

Dr. Green

Philadelphia luthier supply

the treble is less harsh - i love it !

Last edited:

JPP-1

Both sounded very good afaic. The higher carbon content screws presented with a little more clarity. It is my understanding that they are both vintage PAF formulas and one of the reasons why there is no 1 PAF sound.